Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to watch FAST class drag racing. Cars that looked like fully restored trailer queens, or right out of a concourse car show clicking off 11, 10 and now 9 second 1/4s. I was reading the rules and it sounds like a lot of fun. You are making a fairly original looking car go really fast and doing it on bias-ply tires! I really took a liking to the series a few years ago when I read about it in some of my car magazines.

I had another thought today(I have many and carry out few of them. :( ). My 70 Charger R/T has a NOM and trans but is an original 6 pack car. Due to the NOM and trans it will never be worth what a numbers matching car would be worth. This got me to thinking of building the car like one of these FAST cars. Internal engine mods are ok as long as the cam has a stock sound to it. I could easily build a 496 out of the 69 440 that currently resides in the engine bay. My plan was to do a stock restoration on the charger. This would give me a chance to have some real fun with the car, but have it stock so I can take it to car shows and what not. My charger was used and abused during its life and I am sure has made many passes down the strip, although the people that owned it kept the mileage down to 78k. I'm not looking to be the top, just competing is fun as the slower people get a best out of three shootout with someone of similar speed if they are not in the top 8. I also would like to keep my times above 11.49 because I don't want to cage the car. My falcon is already hard enough to get into with a cage. I just hope the class is still around by the time I get my Charger finished. My goal is before I reach 40...I have 6 years to go.

Is anyone else on here doing any FAST drag racing?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think that is a great idea. You can make a lot of horsepower while still looking stock. It would allow you to have a nice stockish looking car for shows and still have fun at the strip. 11.49 times should be easy with stock looking equipment. Nice part is, you'll still be very streetable in that configuration. If you keep it around the 11.49 range and can duplicate that time in full street/off the road conditions, that will be a quick street car. And look stock doing it. Go for it and have fun. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
I raced for 16 years with my '71 Camaro and 427, but being my daily driver I never did get into the 11.49 range. Best I ever did was squeak into the 11's with a 11.97 time. Most the time I ran in the 12's. Drag racing can be fun, but it's also not cheap, and tough on your wallet and car over time. As long as you've got the time and money, I'd sure go racing because it's more fun than just watching!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yep 46 austin you're right about EXPENSIVE drag racing.Thats one reason i've not put my 55 drag car back on the strip. It costs a lot to just get to the strip anymore. I have a brand new 496 short block in it right now havent even cranked it up. Street and strip is the way to go anymore for me. FAST draggin sound the way to go.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
It's so addictive that I have really made an effort to not run my Austin down the track. I know I'd be head over heels in love with it again, and broke!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to go twice a week to the track with my Mach 1, 97 Cobra and also 02 Lighting truck.(Nothing like beating a covette in a pickup truck. Hoosier slicks never seemed to tip them off!) I broke my Mach 1 a lot and went pretty slow. I of course was new at racing and my engine was in really poor condition with the #7 piston missing half of the crown and piston damage to #8. I have no clue how the thing even ran like it did.

I've been itching to get back out racing, but I was looking for a class that wouldn't break the bank, and would still be fun. I really don't care to be the top dog in the class, but just participating against other similar built cars and having fun is what I want to do. Most of the FAST races are around my area in PA, MD and NY with a few in the midwest. I am working at getting my cars up here from Texas and putting the Mach 1 back onto the road ASAP. The Charger needs a lot of metal and body work to get it back onto the road so it will be a few years. I need more practice and tools to do it right.

I've been learning more and more towards making my cars look original rather than modifying them, except for the Falcon. The only thing is, I want them to go like hell still.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Addictive is relative. I grew up at race tracks and drag strips. My father, God rest his soul, and an uncle took me everywhere they went. Well…Not everywhere. But you know what I mean. And they both lived and breathed it. I have been to the drag strip….. maybe 4 times in the past 30 years. I have to admit….when it comes to drag racing…I’m worse than an alcy in a grape orchard. Those few times I went I almost went into DT’s. Even now if I hear a hard thumpin’ street engine my heart rate jumps. And let’s not even talk about the $$ it costs today. Not like the 60’s and 70’s when you could take a small block and couple hundred dollars and have a good running street car and a good time at the local track on the weekend. :) Humm…but then a couple hundred was two weeks pay. I agree, if you can do it…..go for it! What was the old saying? “You only go around once.” Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts