Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a haircut today and my barber told me he had his new project home. I did a couple of errands and killed time until he closed up the shop at noon and went to his house to check it out. He said he was told that the last time it was running, it was a drag car. That was in the 70's or 80's. It's a '38 Chevy business coupe. Pretty solid except for where mice made a nest under the plywood floor behind the seat. He plans for a 327, 3 speed with overdrive and an IFS. A bunch of people have convinced him that it can't drive decent with a solid axle. His other hobby car is a '55 Chevy with a triple carbed 235 six and a powerglide.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Well I sure hope you talk him out of the IFS Gary! I think the '37 and '38 Chevy coupes have some of the finest lines ever built!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to a car gathering last night and this showed up. Not exactly the way I'd have done it but at least it's "done" and he's happy with it. He says it has some play in the steering that needs to go (stock steering box and linkage).

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I went to a car gathering last night and this showed up. Not exactly the way I'd have done it but at least it's "done" and he's happy with it. He says it has some play in the steering that needs to go (stock steering box and linkage).
To each his own, right Gary. I agree, with you. How did the Sly and the family stone say it?: "different strokes for different folks"....
Talk about steering play, my 35 is sloppy as heck. The lower bearing in the box is shot. So I tighten it up with the adjustment and it slowly goes back to sloppy. I hate it but I love the original steering setup so I put up with it. maybe someday i will change the box setup.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Not my cup of tea either, but at least it's driving and looks like a nice stance.

Mario, I wonder how much different your '35 column and box is to my '39? I've got a beautiful column/box you could have for shipping cost if it would fit?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Mario, I wonder how much different your '35 column and box is to my '39? I've got a beautiful column/box you could have for shipping cost if it would fit?”

can you you send me a pic?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Have a good

time where ever you're going Vall and maybe if you're lucky when you get back the elves will have finished your project for you.......

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
time where ever you're going Vall and maybe if you're lucky when you get back the elves will have finished your project for you.......
Headed to our annual long range shoot Steve. A bunch of friends get together up near the Canadian border in Washington to shoot old 1800's rifles out to 1,000 yds. A ton of fun, with some very good friends!

Here's a video of me going out to 650 yds. with my 1880 Remington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9OMwukAwQ

·
Registered
647 Posts
Great looking 38's if I were to find another one, would go with the usual lowering, skirts, visor and a chop just my opinion. what a great video 1800's rifles at 1,000 yds. WOW... I enjoyed the video thanks for sharing. Hope those s hole democrats do not take my gun rights away.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Headed to our annual long range shoot Steve. A bunch of friends get together up near the Canadian border in Washington to shoot old 1800's rifles out to 1,000 yds. A ton of fun, with some very good friends!

Here's a video of me going out to 650 yds. with my 1880 Remington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9OMwukAwQ
Holy crap, that is awesome. I have never been good at shooting guns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts