Gasser HotRod Forums banner

481 - 500 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
One thing I had not thought much of was the throttle body propensity to got WOT if a return spring breaks. Had that happen in the GTO once and before I could get the key switched off I was at about 130 mph. when I switched the key off, the steering wheel locked, fortunately straight line. When I switched it back on, WOT again. I finally got it straight enough to shut it off in lockdown mode long enough that when I switched the key to on the motor didn't refire and got it stopped. Someone pointed out only one return spring on my Sniper TB. I added a dual throttle return spring setup today.

IMG_6233.jpg IMG_6234.jpg IMG_6235.jpg

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Hey Bill, so sorry about your wife's fall. Glad she is ok now. And Ethyl sounds great. Nice tune job. nice and crisp.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Bill you have 3 springs on it.... one piggy tail on the carb and 2 on the throttle arm

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 · (Edited)
So today was a special day. Went down to Don Ross Fabrication so he could do the final measuring on the Louvered Hood Panels. At the end of the day the panels FFR sells would probably be just as good but I would have had to modify and cut them as well. Don has made these panels out of mild steel. I cannot wait to get them painted and installed. Don is a renowned fabricator. He restored several Nostalgia Dragsters including the Scorpion 2 Car which is current in Garlit's Museum as well as the Nichols dragster destroyed in the famous crash while running Prudhomme in the mid 60's at Indy. He has several nostalgia dragsters in the shop right now.

IMG_6248.jpg IMG_6252.jpg IMG_6254.jpg IMG_6256.jpg IMG_6258.jpg

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
Battled with overheating for several years. The original 350 motor had poor casting heads that literally were crumbling from the poor metalurgy. The crumbling castings literally allowed oil to seep around the valve seals. I was having a terrible time tuning the car and keeping it tuned. On top of everything I had a heating issue I just could not seem to get my arms around. It was so bad, I removed my hood side panels in the summer for the added cooling and recently went out to get a louvered set made. We put a Holley Sniper EFI in the new setup. I belong to several of their forums and the reviews seem mixed at times. The team that did the legwork for me on my setup has done a number of them successfully. Aside from a slight tuning issue in the beginning, the Holley Sniper has been a superb addition. I had decided to go with the Hyperspark ignition, allowing the Sniper System to control timing. To resolve my initial issues, I reinstalled it all myself. The team that set my car up did a very good job. Grounding issues did not exist, a tough prospect in a fiberglass car. Once I reste the timing and began working with the computer, everything came together in a great fashion. During the rebuild process Ihad added a 3000 cfm fan, improving the airflow over the 1200 CFM I had in it before. I was hoping the new build would cool better. The shop that built the motor had also paid special afttention to the oiling and collant passages. Before I got the timing set, there were a few issues where the heat seemed to head north. I reasoned that was because the engine was new and tight. We broke her in and dialed in the Sniper. I was out driving the other day and noticed that the car was holding consistently between 185 and 192. Fact is, it would even cool itself off in heavy traffic and sitting at the light. I found that amazing so I figured to reinstall the hood panels and try it. The car continues to hold steady between 185 and 192 even with the air conditioner on with an outside temp of 100+, cruising in the sunshine and stop and go traffic. Most of you can tell I am not by any means an experienced wrench but I firmly believe that in addition to the higher CFM fan, attention to the coolant passages, and general better tuning characteristics of the Sniper, timing control is effective and was one of the key makjor problems I was dealing with. Trying to street drive a fairly aggressive cam was at the end of the day not a good choice. With the computer control for the Sniper, the issues seem to have abated. We did a photo shoot and drove the car at 20 MPH in 2nd and 3rd gear for over an hour in a parking lot at 101 degrees outside temp and the car was flawless. The only other thing we have done is added wetter water to the coolant and that does help 5-10 degrees. I realize you guys are racing your cars but I would highly recommend the Sniper. If you get a good install and luck out with no faulty components it seems to be the ticket for a really variable driving style. Here are some screen shots of the Holley hand held, mostly at low RPM stop and go traffic. Outside temp 95-102.

IMG_6407.jpg IMG_6411.jpg

·
Administrator
13,226 Posts
I really want to go EFI, but with two friends battling issues with their Holley Sniper systems, and both complaining about poor tech assistance from Holley, I am holding off. A 3rd friend went with FI Tech, and he too is having issues, and just sent his unit back to the factory to be diagnosed.
I hear a lot of success stories, but I also hear far too many failures to make me want to hang onto my money for now. The only system I've heard is pretty bulletproof so far is Edelbrock. Haven't heard any negatives on theirs, but they're also one of the most expensive systems.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Bill what is your percentage of IAC controller fluctuation, when you are at an idle like at a long traffic light... was wondering if the race cam profile was keeping it hunting for an ideal setting, and over working the controller???

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
I am having no really identifiable issues with that. Mine will settle out at 7-8%. I have not really tried to press it more. Coasting to a stop it will set to zero after warmed up. It moves to 20 while rolling but I understand that is normal. I've been out of town quite a bit this summer, my Dad has had some issues. The downside is I can't take the Hot Rod with me. So first order of business at home is to roll out the Hot Rod, warm it up and put a few miles on it. This new setup pulls like a freight train in third gear.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Nice Bill... glad to see you are out enjoying your Rod

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Boogieing right along Bill, sounds good and great youre enjoying it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #497 ·
We finished up the Hood panels today. Don Ross Fabrication did me a pair of louvered hood panels. Pretty tough working conditions due to the heat but Don did a fabulous job. Can't wait to get them into body prep and painted.

IMG_6784.jpg IMG_6782.jpg IMG_6771.jpg IMG_6739.jpg IMG_6737.jpg

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #499 ·
Did a photographry layout with Dennis Cruz of Drone's Point of View. While Dennis did some interesting work with the Drone, He also took some high quality photos. We were mostly in Anna Texas during the shoot

481 - 500 of 538 Posts