Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to build an engine break in stand. Wondering if any of you have done this and if you would share some info with me. Thanks guys:D

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Been a long time ago, but I had one set up for Chevy engines back about 30 yrs. ago. Don't have room for one now, so I do it in the car. Mine was made from 2"x2" angle iron, and had a console with oil pressure, water temp gauges, tach, on/off and start switches. I also had a battery box to hold the battery. The radiator was an old Chevy truck large radiator to handle most engine temps, and I kept those flex hoses on it to adapt to most Chevy engines. Had wheels with wheel locks on mine so I could push it arround easily. I used the side motor mounts and bellhousing bolts to hold the engines, as Chevy locates all their SBC, BBC, and some 6 cyl. engines at the same point.
Hope this was any help with your questions?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vall. Trying to get this pictured in my head. If i can get a diagram with measurements or ? i can give it to the welding class at the career center at the school i work for. They can make it and i just have to pay for materials only.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
I made a rectangular base for the wheels. Then I made uprights at the rear on each corner, and a plate off each upright that had a hole for the pins on each side, plus the bolt holes above and below each pin. The front side mount was another upright that a std. motor mount was bolted to. Then I just bolted the motor mount to the test engine, and set the engine in the stand and dropped a crossbolt through, and 2 bolts on the rear on each side. Pretty much like an engine stand, but stouter materials.
My frame was long enough to hold the radiator brackets up front, and in back two more uprights that held the console with gauges and switches. The whole stand was about 3' long. I made the base a bit wider than the engine so it wouldn't tip if I revved an engine a little. It's good to either have an old pair of headers, or a pair of stock exhaust manifolds for testing engines. If I was running an engine for extended breakin I had an old pair of mufflers with flex piping on them to keep things mellow.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot Vall, I'm getting some good visions now. I'll do so measureing and see what i can come up with. Thanks again

·
Registered
699 Posts
I want to build one of these too. It makes it easier to see if you screwed up any gaskets than it is in the engine bay of the car.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
I want to build one of these too. It makes it easier to see if you screwed up any gaskets than it is in the engine bay of the car.
I agree, wish I had the time, I've been wanting to build one for a while now. It just takes getting it started. Be a cool project for this week end but I'm not sure I have enough tubing for it. Unless I used round ;) NA I'm working on the Grumman ;) ;)

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
I've got a engine stand for storing engines, and one that swivels for assembling engines. Both of those can be disassembled to store easily. If a run stand didn't need to be kept assembled I'd still have one.

Here's a picture of one similar to what I built, except it's all square tubing. I used the angle iron since that's what I had laying around, and free was cheaper! I think you could make it from almost any shape steel, but square tube, or angle iron are easiest to work with.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pic Vall, that simplifies things more. I thought it would be a very cool deal especially for breaking in flat tappet engines.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I built mine out of scrap steel and an extra radiator and electric fans. The only thing that I would change is to use a bellhousing instead of bolting straight to the block. I could have made it skinnier or taller so I could use headers too. It works fine for fenderwell ones but not under hanging ones.

Mike

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet Mike. Thanks for sharing it
I built mine out of scrap steel and an extra radiator and electric fans. The only thing that I would change is to use a bellhousing instead of bolting straight to the block. I could have made it skinnier or taller so I could use headers too. It works fine for fenderwell ones but not under hanging ones.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts

Mike
Hey I never noticed that great 3rd gen Nova in your engine video before! Is that your's also Mkie?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Using a common engine stand would seem like a very good starting point for me. You can buy them pretty cheap at swap meets.

As many of you may recall the motor I picked up is somewhat of a mystery. All I know so far is it was built by a reputable engine builder (Nelson in CA) and has some serious cam & valve train components.

Lately I have done quite bit of thinking about taking it to a "shop" to either take a look inside or get it started prior to when I NEED to have it ready to put in the car. I do have a couple of engines laying around to use for mock-up so I am in NO RUSH ..... BUT ...... my curiosity is killing me!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hey I never noticed that great 3rd gen Nova in your engine video before! Is that your's also Mkie?
Mkei? :)

Yep, it's a '73 Ventura with my '74 GTO hood and scoop setup. Just a 350/auto car. I just traded it for a '66 Impala 283/4-speed. The guy has foster sons and is going to make it into a drag car. They race at Woodburn and he promised to let me know when it's ready so I can go watch. The Impala needs work, but I love those big b-bodies. No interior but a decent exterior. It's the interior that kills me, though... no door panels and the buckets are rusted out. There's another $2k plus coming...

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts