Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever heard that the sense of smell is stronger at bringing back memories than sight or sound? I found this with the degreaser that I used on my SBC for my '59 GMC project.

My brother turned me onto this cleaner that is a totally safe engine degreaser. I got it at O'Reilly's and it comes in a spray bottle or a gallon. I used it straight with it in a mixing cup and used a parts washer brush to apply it to the engine. As I am doing this the smell of the degreaser triggered a memory from when I was a lot boy at the Chrysler dealership. I remembered something that smelled like this was used to clean whitewall tires, which I used alot as almost every car then had whitewalls.

So I tried it on a tire that I have had sitting around that came off my '74 GTO. It had the WWs turned in so they weren't cleaned when the car was washed. This stuff cleaned that tire to like new.

I know most tires on cars here are not WW or RWL, but it would even clean the blackwall to look like new.

Anyway, I though that it might be usefull to some here, a great engine degreaser and a great tire cleaner in one and it's cheap.

Thanks,

Mike

BTW, I painted the SBC Pontiac blue because '59 GMCs that had V-8s were Pontiac and I wanted it to look different from an Orange engine. :D

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
ONly concern I would have is whether the base product that breaks down oil to degrease would have an ill effect on rubber? I'd guess no, since engines have rubber pieces on them and they wouldn't likely make a product that would clean and ruin your rubber parts.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I just made a shopping list before I came in from the garage tonight, and degreaser was on it so I guess I'll be stopping at O'Reillys. In the past, I've used Dow foaming bathroom cleaner on tires.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm gonna give that one a try too, thanks

56 VIC - Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts