Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys running a Enderle FI system ? I pulled the trigger today and bought a unit. Holy crap I have to rearrange my entire engine program now.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Sounds like your build is going to be a strictly strip car if you're going to Enderle injection? Not street friendly to have to give it a squirt down the injectors to start it up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to street this machine and perhaps a few trips to the track to clear the webs out of it. I'm sending the unit to Reher Morison to have the intake modified. RM did the heads for my BB so they're going to reconfigure the ports and reflow the intake to match the heads. THEN, after that work is complete the unit is being shipped up to Mike Moran for an EFI conversion. Oh yeah the easy of street driving will be available then !! This old Big Block should be a honker !!

·
Registered
28 Posts
A lot of my buddys that use the Enderle unit on their drag cars use a nitrous purge nozzle and a small electric fuel pump to prime the motor on gas and then run alcohol.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Sounds like it will be very streetable once it's converted. I'd love to go that route, but the intake is the cheap part. The conversion usually runs twice what the intakes go for! But they do work well from what I've heard.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Devoting some thought into plumbing this stack injection unit I've come to wonder.....was braided stainless line used back in the day or was everything basically black rubber hosed ?

Sometimes I wonder why more interior and under the hood pix of these old gassers weren't taken in the past.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Devoting some thought into plumbing this stack injection unit I've come to wonder.....was braided stainless line used back in the day or was everything basically black rubber hosed ?

Sometimes I wonder why more interior and under the hood pix of these old gassers weren't taken in the past.
Every old Hilborn or Enderle injection unit I've ever seen for sale had black hose for all the plumbing. Saw probably a dozen of them for sale at the swap meet this weekend and all had black hose.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would go with the new black braided hose..gives you a more period look and safer too boot! Just my 2 cents....

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Any progress on your conversion? I'd like to see how it turned out. I'm thinking of using a Hilborn and convert it to EFI myself. Been reading a lot of info on the web here and it seems like if you plan it out right it is a ton of work but not impossible.

Mike

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the conversion turned out great. If I had to back up and start over I would have bought the standard mech casting not the efi casting. The efi casting is casted with blocks outside manifold for strength to support fuel runners, which aren't needed with this conversion. FIE machined the pads down as far as they could to keep the injectors at the correct angle and keep from interfering with the valve covers. MAF mounted underneath for a nice clean look on top. Filters are hid in air horns as well for a nice clean look. Everything is at Shafiroff's shop getting bolted together. I'll post somemore pics once I get the engine home. Injected 540 BBC !! Can't wait to see the dyno sheet !!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And to add, all components are FAST components except for the injectors and MAF sensor. Coil, distributor, ECM and ignition box are FAST products. I've done extensive research on this conversion and several guys were having ignition issues. They were using msd boxes and experiencing noise issues throughout the system. That's when I chose to use all FAST products. For the simple fact that FAST makes their products work hand and hand with their own stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Enderle is almost the same look as my Hilborn. My injectors are on the inside and it would be nice to keep them there. I have seen a few different ways of capturing the injectors but I like yours the best. That looks like a mechanical setup except for the wires. Those hoses look great! The individual caps instead of a fuel rail really make it look right.

I like how they did this too!
Those hoses are a lot easier to do and 2-per makes sense. Very clean. I saw another one done with copper pipe and it looked cool, but no one will ever see that.

Wish that I could afford to have mine done like you did, but I am on a tight budget. I have been checking out MegaSquirt and they seem to be on a few of the conversions. I found one on an A I think and it started/rand great.

What are you doing for stacks? Aluminum or steel. Any pics?

Let us know how it all works out.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
That's a beautiful setup Jason! Very clean and uncluttered looking! On the polishing. You'll have to sand those lines out with a very fine grit paper, like around 400 grit. Best way would be if you can make up a wooden round block to fit inside, and run them in a lathe to spin them as you hold sandpaper to them. Could also make up wooden blocks to cover each end of the stack, and run a 3/8" all thread through, with nuts on each end. Then clamp the threaded rod in a drill press and polish with sandpaper. That would get the outside lines smooth, and then they can be polished the same way with whatever polishing compound you like. I cut the wooden ends with a holesaw, then drill the center out to 3/8".
I've done the drill press thing before and it works great. If the part is very long it needs to be constantly supported as it's worked, so it doesn't shake and bend the all thread! That can be very bad! I've polished 30" long pieces by putting the opposite end of the rod in a wooden block on the floor, to hold it steady as I sanded and polished.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts