Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have any of you used this intake and carbs? edl-20254_w[1].jpg

It has two 500 cfm Edelbrocks on it. I was thinking of trying it on my 383.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://waterloo.craigslist.org/pts/5036875844.html

Here's a used one. Seems pricey to me, though.
Thanks Gary, for $300.00 more I can buy a brand new set up. I really like the looks of it, and it would really set off my engine well. But if that's all it can do for me, I don't want it I have enough cam and breathing ability to handle it, just wondered how much performance difference it would make. Thanks a bunch...

Gary

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
If you're buying it for the look, then it will look great and perform well. But most people will tell you a good single carb and well matched open plenum intake will give you better performance. But my opinion is if we're building these to have fun with, they're not always built for maximum performance.
Both of my gassers run tunnel rams, and twin carbs. I have no doubt that I could wring more power and performance from a single carb setup, but I don't really care if it's a bit slower. I'd rather go a half second slower, and have it look like they do, than change to something I didn't like the look of to go faster.
I'm having fun with my gassers, and hitting a few races, and car shows. That's more my speed, than setting new records, or winning every race.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel Lucky

If you're buying it for the look, then it will look great and perform well. But most people will tell you a good single carb and well matched open plenum intake will give you better performance. But my opinion is if we're building these to have fun with, they're not always built for maximum performance.
Both of my gassers run tunnel rams, and twin carbs. I have no doubt that I could wring more power and performance from a single carb setup, but I don't really care if it's a bit slower. I'd rather go a half second slower, and have it look like they do, than change to something I didn't like the look of to go faster.
I'm having fun with my gassers, and hitting a few races, and car shows. That's more my speed, than setting new records, or winning every race.

Thanks Vall. Again I learned something new. I figured twin carbs and more fuel and air in to the engine would make an improvement in over all performance and power. While it may do just that, it looks like a single carb of the proper size and intake come out on top. The Dart 433 I have been looking at has a single carb and its a monster. Again, like you so correctly said, a lot depends on what you plan on doing with the car. And your right about the whole idea of having the car in first place, FUN!!

No reason to stress over what you think you should or shouldn't do with your car, its your car, so play with it. And the only reason I have my car in the first place and can have the Dart engine if I wanted, is only because my just now wealthy wife after getting her in heritance gave me a "1 TIME " $40.000 lump sum. The idea being it would give me something to do and keep me busy and out of her face!

Works for me.. I know the Dart is over kill, and I too mostly will just be cruising the streets, hitting the car shows, and showing off every chance I get. The owners of our local drag strip skipped town and left it to die. Its not that old, and is a real nice strip. I just want to get as much together as I can for the car while I have the money to do it. I am froze out of her accounts, I aint nobody, just the fool who stuck it out for 25 years. This car is my reward and I better make the most of it.

Been out of work for well over a year, and @ 61 years of age, nobody's too anxious to hire me. I only brought up this dumb story, so folks will know I am just very lucky to have this car at all, and under the circumstances can see just how very special and wonderful this little Nova is to me. I really envy all the guys here who bust ass and work hard every day, and still find a way to build there dream car from the ground up. I have skills with engines and other things but no shop, no garage, just a carport. And I have no help at all.

But I could never at least at this time do what you have done and I respect that very much. I have some guilt just buying my car turn key more or less, but I had a real hard time finding anything I could reasonably restore with my skill set and lack of a proper place to work on it. And the way I got the money, it doesn't mean a thing to me about how much things cost, it was free money I didn't earn it.

No idea why I went on this rant. But I feel better! :D

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Building a car from scratch isn't everyone's thing, and not something you do right off. I surely didn't build a complete car on the first gasser I built! Mine evolved back then on my '57 Chevy, which was my mother's old car. Started out just making the old 283, two barrel engine a little quicker. Put a 4 barrel intake, carb, and a pair of headers on it. Then later decided it needed to be a stick, so pulled the Powerglide and did a 3 speed swap first. Later found a 4 speed I could afford, and swapped that in.
The '57 was also my first shot at doing a straight axle swap. It was 1968, and I was 17 years old. My mom told me I was ruining the car she sold me, but my dad said, "It's his car, so he can do what he wants to it." They were both right! It only took me a few days to swap the '58 truck axle in, but it took forever for me to figure out what I needed to do to make it drive safely!
After the '57, I owned 3-4 more '57 Chevys, and put straight axles in every one as soon as funds allowed. Then my beloved '55 gasser, which was always my favorite year. Took forever to find the right 2 dr. sedan, business coupe, and when it was almost finished, it was stolen.
Like you, I have no place to work, but desire overcame that hurtle. Both of mine were built in a 10'x20' canopy in my backyard. Not a real garage, but with some gravel on the ground, and sheets of plywood hooked together, it certainly worked well. If you've got room, I'd consider spending some of the $40k on a concrete slab, and one of those carports they sell assembled on your slab. For under $5k you could have a place to work, and keep the car out of the weather.
I really enjoy your enthusiasm for the gassers, and glad you're here to get this place active and more lively discussion! Since the whole explosion of interest in old gassers, it's been refreshing to see so many people reawakened to them, or newly interested in them! We get questions, and comments wherever we take ours, and it's just that much more fun to see the interest they get today.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate it big time Vall. Actually some remodeling around here is including a two car garage more or less widening the carport and enclosing it. We always wanted that, but couldn't afford it. I'm glad to at least have the carport for now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I run dual 600 Edelbrocks on my 514ci Cadillac and wouldn't have anything else, they are very good carbs and very easy to tune & work on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I was sitting here trying to take in all the beauty in the picture, my wife looked over my shoulder at the computer screen and even she said "OMG"!! And she wouldn't know a Briggs and Straton engine from a rocket!

If they work for you here, they will do me just fine, the carbs I am talking about are 500 cfm. Thanks a lot.. Gary

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Gary it sounds to me you married a wonderful woman. And may I say most of us on the forum that are married have amazing wives.......... ;) wink ;) wink.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hey Gary, those carbs and manifold will most likely run and look great. With the 438 if you get it, you might even have to go to 600 cfm carbs. I am running dual 600's on my 440 Mopar and it runs like a champ. I know the manifold and huge carb that was on it when I got the engine probably made more HP, but jeez the tunnel ram looks cool. Now if I could just find a cheap blower....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Gary, those carbs and manifold will most likely run and look great. With the 438 if you get it, you might even have to go to 600 cfm carbs. I am running dual 600's on my 440 Mopar and it runs like a champ. I know the manifold and huge carb that was on it when I got the engine probably made more HP, but jeez the tunnel ram looks cool. Now if I could just find a cheap blower....
Man I love 440's. I had a 70 440 Roadrunner with a matching numbers everything. One pretty day I was two miles from home, whet thru and intersection "green light" and got T boned on the right side by a woman in a van. Good thing the hit was the passenger side, if it would have been my side, I most likely wouldn't be writing this. Bent my beautiful Road Runner almost in half it looked like.

And guess what? She had no insurance, and in any case a totaled 30 year old at the time Plymouth. I was still able to drive it home on the access road, it was like its last gift to me.

My Nova has a new paint job as well, that cost $8.000. The stock hood is just too perfect to cut a hole in. I have been running around weird ideas about running a tunnel ram, maybe a pair of highly detailed Holleys, short velocity stacks, and sweet looking chrome air cleaners on top. Then get a fiberglass or maybe carbon fiber hood, and see if I can find a typical 6" tall rear inlet scoop you see all the time, only made out of transparent dark red Lexan.

I think it would look cool with the deep red reflection of the chrome during the day showing thru. My Nova being a Gasser, in the old day's and being red would have dark red tinted windows. Wish I could do that, the red Lexan scoop and red tinted windows would fly at the shows. Cant have red tint in Texas. I even considered making sure the tunnel ram was either chrome or endure shine Edelbrock set up.

Putting polished finned valve covers on in place of the red Moroso's on it, etc.. Then see if there was such a thing as a complete red Lexan hood with the scoop and all. At the shows in the Texas sun I think it would really pop.

Cant help it, I'm a child in a 61 year old body.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well since I posted this, I really looked into finding out what the benefits and detractors are regarding running say a single four barrel with Edelbrock Air Gap intake and 600 CFM Edelbrock carb and the Edelbrock duel quad with a pair of 500 CFM carbs.

Some people have mentioned that the single 4 barrel air gap performs way better that the duel quad system. From what I have see out there, those people are right! Seems as the duel quad set up for some reason sucks. Its apparent only good point is man it looks so cool!

I cant spend that much money and do that much work on the engine, for the sole purpose of looks. I naturally figured I would get the best of both worlds, a serious kick in the butt when I punched it to the floor, that would out perform the single carb set up I have, and the great look of twin carbs with twin air cleaners.

So I have to ask why is 1000 total CFM pouring down a hungry 383 with a huge cam and good heads a loser on the street? Looks like progressive linkage would only allow the front carb to operate till you reach the end of travel in the linkage by that time there should be more than enough engine volume going one to suck up that back carb like no tomorrow!

I could see if you bolted a duel quad set up on a stock crate motor 350 and had bog problems or worse that would make sense. I expect if you put pedal to the carpet from a stop the engine would choke and die!

I'm glad I have an air gap single four barrel on the car now. I had not heard of air gap intakes. Been driving the Mustang. The Edelbrock on my intake has a "air scoop" on the front of it. Didn't pay attention to that before. So why would two fours on an engine that could take it, leave you coming up short in the HP and TQ department compared to the single four?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
If you are looking for great street drivability and great off the line and midrange torque, the Air Gap is awesome. My son has a 355cu in chevy in a 68 camaro that feels (by the seat of the pants) like it could run a low 12 sec or even break into the 11's. The nose lifts and back squats down and you really feel the G- force as it set you back. It will reach 6500 with out a problem. It has all the Edelbrock rpm roller components , cam, lifters, rockers, and rpm heads with the RPM intake on top. The carb is a 750 dbl pump with a pro form center section (no choke) with my own little tweaks which ran me an 11:80 thru the mufflers with street tires. I gave it to my son as a gift for his new car build.

Now on the other side of the coin I have a low compression 377 that has a 2x4 weiand with 2 holley 650's on it, which people love to stare at when I go to shows that will still run 12's and sounds awesome but the street drivability is a compromise because both carbs run of the throttle together at the same time. It works but I would like to see a progressive linkage which I will be working on when the MG motor comes together. The trick is to have the rear carb run the primaries so they are more centrally located over the intake and have the front carb come in on progressive linkage when acceleration is needed. I haven't worked out the linkage part yet but it will be something Im bent on working out.

The MG will be low compression so it needs street drivability with 2- 600 cfm carbs running on top.
So at this point you can have your cake and eat it too but it will take a little effort. If you want quick fix and drive with no real tuning problems go with the air gap. But if you want something cool and are willing to scratch your head and ask questions along the way, you can have a cool setup with 2 fours.

I attached a you tube link of my car at the strip. Go to 15:00 and see how a 2 four tunnel ram can run on a low compression engine if you keep working out the kinks. This is my car off the line at the gasser reunion. Mind you I'm out of my league with the cars Im racing and way over geared so don't mind it as the other guys pull away from me down the track. Point is it leaves as hard as an air gap would leave and looks a whole lot cooler as a gasser.
Just my Humble Opinion......:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow I swear I responded to this post earlier today, but I don't see it. Must be senile. I just know, that video is very cool Mario! I really got an idea of what you car looks like and got to see it run. Very well done.. Such a pretty car.. I bet you cant go any place with out having to answer questions about your beast. And you strip, looks so "comfortable" and all tree lined. Nice places to park etc..

Thank you for that. I see what you mean about the two fours.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Those who would tell you a dual quad setup "sucks" are either full of it, or don't know how to set them up. Yes, the single 4 carb on a good intake will be a bit quicker, but that sure doesn't mean the dual quads suck! The Edelbrocks seem to work very well on fairly stock V8's, and your built engine should handle them even better! I certainly don't have any issues with bogging, or low end response on my 464 BBC with twin 600 cfm Holleys on my tunnel ram, or twin 450 Holleys on my SBC tunnel ram.
As I mentioned earlier, they could be a bit quicker with a single 4 barrel, but to me it's not worth the small difference to have a docile looking setup, or be so mundane as a single 4 barrel. The twin carbs, and tunnel ram make a real statement when the hood is open, and I love seeing people smile when they look at either engine! When I lift the front wheels launching the Falcon, it never crosses my mind if it might go faster with another setup!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Very nice mr Vall.
I'm with you. A+1

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Vall. I have looked at just about everything by now for induction on the Nova, and I don't really know yet how the car runs as it is. I am half ass trying to sell my Mustang, I only have it listed for $14.000. I am not letting any body drive any where but on the high way. And with out exception each and every person came with at least one friend to go along, as they actually had this idea I would hand over my keys and let them have at it.

And if you lived here in San Antonio, you would understand why you don't take two strangers in the car with you, and with one in the seat behind you. So all but one of the "prospects" left here pissed off because they really wanted to thrash that Mustang, but I would only take the buyer along. The one that rode with me, never drove it after I jumped on it in 1st and 2nd to get the "what can it do" out of his system. Said his wife would wreck it.

Ya right. I have beat my car up for no reason more times this week than in its entire life. I'm considering putting some of that blue plastic tarp material down on the side of my house killing all the grass and parking the Mustang on top of it, and keep it under its cover. Then maybe I can get the Nova here at last. But I hate the idea of the Stang getting rained on.

I was even looking at Hilborn Injection, but not a mechanical set up, the electronic set up. Gee its only like $5000.00 with almost everything. It would certainly take care of the looks department eight chrome stacks sticking thru the hood. But regardless of how it runs, its a street car and all that Hilborn stuff is taking me away from the simplicity and function I look for. Had I not been granted this money from the wife, I would not have the car, and of course would not be looking at all this expensive stuff.

But look at your beautiful engines! I wont have a tunnel ram, it just wont fit under my hood, and for better of worse I still very much like the Edelbrock duel quad in that endure shine finish. I love the look !

And I have always had a knack with carburetors' I love rebuilding them, never used the instructions, as they confused me because it made it look difficult. Its not. And I know for certain, I have the breathing ability in my 383 to make full use of 1000 CFM.

With the pretty finned Edelbrock $250.00 air cleaner and a set of polished cast finned Edelbrock valve covers riding on each side of that beautiful intake set up, it cant look bad. I may even paint the spaces between the fins on the air cleaner and valve covers red to match the car. And since, its not a race car, I'm not worried that I may be losing a little grunt, because I wont be, I can make that set up respect me, and it will make more power.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Well you could get a 2nd hood, and save cutting hole in your hood. But I've also cut holes in hoods and not done any damage to them also. I did the holes in my buddy's Austin A40 using electrical cabinet punches, and then he had the local paint supplier match his hood paint, so he could just paint the bare metal edge around the hole with a modeler's brush.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts