Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ed Iskenderian will be in town at our local community college in a couple weeks! He's going to be talking about his 60 yrs. of automotive history, and answering questions. Some of us are going to drive our cars out to the meeting, and if I can talk him into it I'd love to get him to autograph the dash on the Mousetrap!
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Great, I have an autographed piston from one of Arnie Beswicks broken motors. Having the dash autographed would be really cool. Mark L

·
Registered
374 Posts
Now that would be definitely worth going to! I wish Grumpy Jenkins would have done something similar to this. I REALLY would've enjoyed that!!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That sounds really awesome! Good luck, Vall. You know we'll be waiting for pics. :)

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isky has been one of my favorites since Big John was sponsored by him! Big John was also one of my favorites. Wish I had gotten to meet him before his untimely death.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Ed Iskenderian will be in town at our local community college in a couple weeks!..... Some of us are going to drive our cars out to the meeting, and if I can talk him into it I'd love to get him to autograph the dash on the Mousetrap!
Wish me luck!
Good Luck.... If Ed sees the "Mouse Trap" I am sure he would to happy to sign the dash.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Isky has been one of my favorites since Big John was sponsored by him! Big John was also one of my favorites. Wish I had gotten to meet him before his untimely death.
Now that would be definitely worth going to! I wish Grumpy Jenkins would have done something similar to this. I REALLY would've enjoyed that!!!
Meeting the "Grump" was also on my "bucket list". Being a 100% Chevy guy I have ALWAYS been a fan of Bill Jenkins.

Fortunately, we only live a few hours away from Thompson, Ohio where the Mid Atlantic Willys Club" used to hold their "Gasser Reunion (June) & Gasser Nationals (Sept).

We did see "Big John's gassers" & also had the opportunity to not only meet but also to talk extensively to "Ohio George Montgomery & Barbara Hamilton (The first Woman in drag racing to receive an NHRA license for driving supercharged cars)

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
George Montgomery has also been one of my favorites in racing! Not many people in the Gas classes have won as consistently as he did!

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last night was the get together with Ed Iskenderian. What a great guy, with some wonderful stories of how hotrodding began! He spoke for over 4 hrs. and ran well over his allotted time that the school had scheduled. He's a really down to earth guy that is still very sharp at 90 and a typical hotrodder.
He told some great stories about his mentor Ed Winfield, and a few of them were real eye openers! Until last night I didn't know the famous Duntov 30-30 cam was designed and ground by Winfield for Duntov at Chevrolet! Isky said as soon as he asked Winfield how Duntov came up with such a great design that Winfield responded it was his doing. Ed said he should have known as the design was typical of Winfield's grinds.
Lots of fun stories about his competition too, and how they got into the game, or how he would play games with them by slipping info that made them think he had some wild design coming out and they would waste time trying to find out what it was. He also told of how he would come up with a new design and the competition would poo poo it, then a year later they would add it to their line because they needed it to sell cams.
I was told the school garage had enough cars before I went, but drove the Austin anyway. When I got there the gentleman running the show asked if I could start the Austin and follow him. We went around the building and he pointed me through a rollup door. The Austin was parked right next to the stage Ed spoke from all evening! I was pretty excited to have such an honor for the little gasser!
I asked Ed if he would sign the dash after the get together, and he said, "Let's do it now!" So he sat down in the passenger seat and autographed the dash for me!

This will be one of those high points in my life, and something I'll remember forever! Can't imagine a better way to spend an evening!

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah Mike it sure is! When I put the Isky logo on my hood it was just a tribute to one of my heroes. Never dreamed I'd meet him, and then it happens shortly after!
I was a bit surprised that the crowd was as small as it was. Only about 90 people, but room for probably close to 300. Everyone enjoyed it though!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Was wondering if you stilled was planning to take the "Mouse Trap" ....... glad to see you had such a good time.

Maybe the best part of the day was the "Mouse Trap" got there & back without any issues.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Congratulations Vall!!! That is such an inspiration. I think it is a well deserved tribute to the work and dedication you put into the “Mouse Trap.” I am a firm believer that “things don’t just happen and good things happen to good people.” ;)

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys! Every time I look at Ed's autograph I'll remember the evening and all those great stories!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Great work - great car

Congratulations Vall!!! That is such an inspiration. I think it is a well deserved tribute to the work and dedication you put into the “Mouse Trap.” I am a firm believer that “things don’t just happen and good things happen to good people.”
QUOTE=Cptnbob;7554]Congratulations Vall!!! That is such an inspiration. I think it is a well deserved tribute to the work and dedication you put into the “Mouse Trap.” I am a firm believer that “things don’t just happen and good things happen to good people.” ;)[/QUOTE]

I agree CptBob..... We have been able to watch this awesome "Gasser" materialize right before our eyes here on GasserHotRods.com.

What is ENCOURAGING and MOTIVATING is Vall (and others who do the same) not only build quality cars but do the work themselves using the space & tools available.

With the "BUY it TURN-KEY" High End Shops turning out Hot Rods/Gassers/Muscle Cars etc of quality never seen before it is refreshing to see cars like Vall's & SO MANY OTHERS found on the pages of this forum built the "old school way" by "backyard shade tree mechanics".

:cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts