Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had this happen before, and didn't realize a seller could do this either? I put in a bid on two rolls of 3/16" copper-nickel brake line with fitting assortment. Kind crazy shipping at $10, so I bid $11 on the kit. Just wanted it for my reserve since I'd used the last of mine up recently.
So it gets down to just minutes from closing, and there's only two bids, with my $11 bid being high at just $6.50! When suddenly the seller cancels the auction, and the item gets relisted for $36, plus $10 shipping!
I get a message from Ebay this morning saying I can go to "bid history" and see why it was canceled, but when I do it doesn't show any of the original bids, or an explanation? Now I'm sure why he canceled it, because he didn't want to sell it for the end price! But sure seems odd that Ebay allows sellers to list items without a reserve, and then pull the auction if they don't end where the seller wanted it to end?

If you see this seller, "joytutus-autous" Be prepared for him to end the auction if he doesn't get his desired price! And he's a US seller supposedly, but I clicked on his "store" and his feedback, and get all sorts of Chinese hieroglyphics!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
joytutus-autous..is a China corporation that ships from New Jersey...alot of sellers buy from them whole sale then sell the parts on ebay...they also use the name earthparts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Ebay

From my understanding a seller can cancel an auction but with costs. They have to pay whatever the final costs are associated with the highest bidder at the time of cancellation which in your case appear to be minimal. Also if there is a BIN price and they cancel the charges are based on the BIN price. If as you suspect and Lash concurred that it was made in China maybe you're better off.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my understanding a seller can cancel an auction but with costs. They have to pay whatever the final costs are associated with the highest bidder at the time of cancellation which in your case appear to be minimal. Also if there is a BIN price and they cancel the charges are based on the BIN price. If as you suspect and Lash concurred that it was made in China maybe you're better off.
Possibly I am better off if it's Chinese. But it's impossible to tell with parts like brake line or brake fittings these days, regardless of where you buy them. I always click on "US Only" when searching Ebay, and yet 90% of what comes up isn't US, it's simply based in the US as a seller.
But same holds true with any local auto parts stores. If I ask them where their brake lines, or fittings are made, they either don't know, wont say, or they're overseas suppliers. So where do we go to ensure it's US made? Even the major manufacturers and distributors are sourcing their stuff overseas, so I might as well buy it anywhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Daughter has an eBay store and she gets very upset with the crap eBay does to her. She sells to some overseas people and with this pandemic, she can send the package to eBay's location and they forward the item under their connections/shippers to the buyer. But, once she send's it to eBay, she has no control over the delivery from that point on. She has had to give many of these buyers their money back because eBay's delivery service to the final destination failed to deliver the package "in a timely fashion as per eBay's policy" and the buyer wants a refund. So, eBay takes the money out of my Daughters account and sends it to the buyer. She can't Oh the package the buyer has that my Daughter sent? SHE LOOSES THAT PRODUCT! She has complained, but eBay refuses to make it right! She has lost a LOT of money from these people. eBay will not allow her to restrict or stop these people from buying from her for fear of being called "racist'.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Actually

she does have a choice. She can refuse to ship to a specific country. I have a friend who had an ebay store and was having a lot of problems with certain countries so she simply quit selling there. On her auction pages she just listed countries she didn't ship to, ended her problems. Your daughter might lose some money but if it's worth the loss of all the headaches................

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She can also simply restrict to US sales only. Or no overseas sales. So she does have options, but might reduce the number of sales she has. Better than losing product and money!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts