Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's a guestion, since the stock frame rails on a Henry j actually kick out in the front area and the chevy axle tapers in why couldn't it be turned around back to front,front to back. As long as the kingpin degree is correct and the steering arms relocated in back of axle, wouldn't it work? Just thinking. Andy:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would think that it would work, if like you suggest that the king pin angle, caster and camber is good. You would need to go to a cross steer set up and play with your steering arms, etc. Nothing is impossible. Just sometimes it is easier and less costly to follow someone elses build style.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, I hear ya just an idea since I know a guy who has one with spindels for cheap just need springs and steering arms and possibly using the original Henry j steering gearbox since it seems fine and was originally a rear steer.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would mock it up and do a lot of measurements. We as a group come up with some interesting fabrication techniques and use of stuff that probably was never meant to be. Go for it.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
I would also check the spindle angle when turning axle. May not affect them at all. However some will when turned around will create toe in on turns, were the outside tire will turn sharper then the inside tire which means, one of the tires will grab more then it rolls. Again this is not on all axle designs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks , Mike and Steve great input. I thought about it more last night and if I put the axle in reversed than remove the spindals and put them back on the correct sides then set the correct kingpin degree then the toe in shouldn't be an issue. What are your thoughts on this ? Thanks Andy

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I've done a lot of later '55-'59 axles, but never an early '49-'54 with tapered springs. With all the changes you'll have to do to turn it so the springs taper out, I'm not sure it's less work than just fabricating boxed mounting points to fit the normal setup? I'd also wonder if it's reversed will it be the perfect width to work well, or will you still have to fabricate some box mount to work anyway?
Before swapping springs, spindles, and tierod, I'd certainly rather build mounts myself, since you'll most likely build mounts either way.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Vall, your probably right as far as mounting dimensions for the spring hangers not being exactly the same width . Ether way I decide to go still involves alot of thought and fabrication. Just working on a tight budget and trying to keep gathering my parts. I rarely let a couple of weeks go by that I don't buy something for the Henry j. Oh by the way I did look at the roller paint job the guy did on his Henry j it looked pretty slick, Once saw an old black man paint a 67 Pontiac gto with a powder puff like a woman uses to put makeup on with and the color was maroon metal flake and it was slick as glass. Hey on the roller painted Henry j did you happen to notice that the front end was stock a arm setup. Andy

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Yes, I did see it had A arm suspension, but for some reason I thought it was a Camaro subframe, didn't know it was stock?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vall, i was really surprised my self didn't notice it at first but when I did I went back through the build thread. Looks good and the stance isn't bad either. Makes me wonder if I should redo front and add disks and wait on the straight axle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts