Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
That's a great picture thread! Did you notice a few of those old gassers were running full floater truck axles?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Thanks for the great pic album. I still love the early Pro stocks like Jenkins Camaro and Vegas. And the great gasser/altered pics. The one rail had twin turbos blowing into a big supercharger. I had to copy and save that one. Mark L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Great pictures..... I could almost HEAR them..... especially liked....

Not many pictures of Opels on the Internet.... Especially Opel station wagons.
Thanks for posting them!!!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks Ray for the great albom. It brings back so many memories. Those were the days!! Although bitter-sweet for me. The evalution of more modern and areodinamic vehicles of the seventies were the demize of the "Gasser style" vehicles. The Gas classes remained but the older style vehicles were unable to remain competetive. After setting an IHRA C/A record in the fall of '71, that record fell in the spring of '72 by more than .6 of a second by a Pro Stock Vega that failed to qualify in the Pro Stock class. A rules change over the winter allowed a Pro Stock vehicle to remove the passenger seat, placing it into the Altered class. Yes, rules changes also were a determining factor but the fact was that the older,heavier, boxier vehicles were at a huge diadvantage. But then time marches on. That's why I am so thankfull for guys such as yourself and others on this site willing to keep the memories alive. Thanks to ALL!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Pittsburgh International Dragway

Here's a picture I just got the other day..... a couple of friends (drag racing buddies from back in the day) took a leisurely walk in the woods the other day to the location where Pittsburgh International Dragway was (1964-1976).

The road leading into the area is gated & locked so the only way to get in to the former dragstrip is to walk.

As you can see the starting line paint is still there after 36 years.

Another "walk to the strip" was planned today to try & salvage some of the very few things that are laying around..... but things are canceled until next weekend.

More about this later..... I think my signature says it all.....

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Awsome, John. Keep us posted. I'm sure there are many more such historic sites accross this country. I know of two old military air strips that were abandoned after WWII that became popular "outlaw" drag strips. They were eventually closed down and the property re-claimed by the federal government, once again part of Camp Lejeune.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Too bad that drag strip couldn't be reclaimed and put back into commission. I hate to see all of these old places laying dormant and unused. I love the old drag racing pictures. While cars are much faster now, they really feel soulless. A lot of the tech removes us from the driving experience.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
We've got to keep the small outlaw drag strips going! Most of these little non NHRA/AHRA strips are on a tight budget, and need all the support and attendance we can give them! They put on a better, more relevant drags than either of the big sanctioning bodies do, and they are hurting to stay open!
Get out there and attend some drags at the small tracks and help them out whenever possible!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Here's a couple of pictures of PAST and PRESENT:

a sad commentary of "good days" gone forever..... but still have the sights, sounds & smells in my head.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Do you want to see over kill but eye dazelling??

Don't let anyone tell you there were ever any turbos on a dragster. I've heard that comment (not here) several times.

MArk L

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm on the twin turbo thing, but to add a blower---. Lets see, what's a first born going for now???? LOL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts