Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I drove the 2.5 hours up north to look at the 51 chevy deluxe....

Here is the good-

Frame is in great shape
all stainless trim is in good shape
all windows are in tact
doors close solid
not a lot of rust
chevy 4x4 steering box
trunk is rust free- no holes
maybe more, we will see what you guys think

Here is the bad-

Front axle is all rigged onto the frame (out of a dodge)
Axle is too wide for the car
whole interior floor is shot
rear quarter panel needs a patch
doors need lower skins

Now I know this is about what to expect from a 2500 dollar car, but I was honestly thinking of offering him 1500. Plus, the work may be out of my capabilities as I really do not have anyone with gasser knowledge near me. What do you think after seeing the pics?

Here they are!

I am thinking pass on this......

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Everything up front needs to be redone. The mounting and frame work looks shaky, and using a rag joint as an out of alignment pivot, instead of a U joint is a big no-no! Rag joints are for perfectly aligned shafts, not to make up angles.
I'd like to also see more close ups of the rear setup, and the welds done to perches, and mounts. Might have to redo that area if it's done like the front.
I didn't see anything to make me thing the Mopar front axle was too wide, or bad. Might be that the wheels are too wide, or have the wrong offset and make it look too wide.
I'd agree with not giving $2500 for it, but not sure I'd go $1500 either after seeing your new pics. I'd offer $1,000 and hope to not go over $1300. But I'm a little concerned about whether you feel confident to rework all the suspension? We'll help all we can here, but it will still require good welding and fabrication skills, or a willingness to learn them. We all had to learn once, so if you have the equipment to cut, weld, and fab, then you can learn to use it.
I still like the car, just not what's been done so far.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The beauty of going gasser style is it can be very basic or as trick as you want. If you like the body style, it has valid title, you have the fabrication skills to fix it and you can get it at a good price, go for it. Cutting the front off and making a stub that that axle will fit would not be a big deal. I do think its kinda pricey the way it is. Just my opinion.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
I can't say or add anything that Vall and Gary haven't already said..... If you really like the body and the frame other wise is in good shape then if you could score the Chevy for a price you can live with its a great start. We are here to help however we can, but you are the one that has to be totally comfortable with the build your are heading into. :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I feel good about tackling the fabrication. My neighbor (who is a retired body man) is in, my neighbor who can weld is also in. I love learning new things and it should be a good challenge. After all, I did fabricate all the stuff on these two bikes, so I hope the learning curve is not too hard.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
If you can get it cheap enough you can get a speedway axle the correct width and build the frame rails the right way. The problem he had is the flat stock truck springs... I like the body style but out here decent ones go for about $1500-$2000 that are in much better shape. Don't let the stuff you have to throw away cloud your decision.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can get it cheap enough you can get a speedway axle the correct width and build the frame rails the right way. The problem he had is the flat stock truck springs... I like the body style but out here decent ones go for about $1500-$2000 that are in much better shape. Don't let the stuff you have to throw away cloud your decision.

Good luck.

Mike

I think I am going to pass on the car. I think I got a little excited because it had a front end on it already, but If I have to start over, let's start with a good candidate. Mike, if you see a 51-52 in your neck of the woods for that price, let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts