Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a bunch of patience and well received advice from Vall, (Thanks a ton Vall) I put a deposit on a car today. Bought it off a H.A.M.B. guy in Indiana. 1950 Chevy coupe. He started a street rod job on it so it has shaved door handles and trunk, but the cool thing is the 50 mercury dash! It runs and drives, but not for long as it will be coming out to put the leaf spring front end on. Has new quarters and rockers and the interior floor is partially finished. A big plus is that is comes with an entire interior kit from NCA. 1200 dollars worth. Big plans but will be slow going as funds are limited, but at least I can start cleaning things and putting POR-15 on everything. He is actually holding it for me until the end of March since I am going to Louisville for business and he is like an hour away and I will tow her home.

The name? Glad you asked. My first thought was "The Temper Tantrum" but my wife took the coupe thing a step farther-

coup de grâce
[kooduh grahs]

NOUN [PLURAL COUPS DE GRÂCE, FRENCH.]

1. a death blow, especially one delivered mercifully to end suffering.
2. any finishing or decisive stroke.

I will ad an "e" to the lettering. Get it? :)

Anyway, here are some pics that he sent me. The owner is 75 and was having some issues getting to the car.

Again, thanks Vall for the advice along the way. He talked me off a ledge when I was going to buy a really bad 53.....

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this on the web the other day and will be patterning mine to look similar to this. Still deciding colors and such.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Hey Dave! Glad to see you snatched up the old Chevy! I think you made a wise choice in the year, and also this particular car being so clean and rust free. You'll have a big head start without all the body work to do! Congratulations, and thanks for starting the build thread too!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
That will be a really cool build. Most of the time they are slammed to the ground. I never saw one up in the air like that pic shown and man I love it.
can't wait to see your progress with it. wish you the best with it.
enjoy
Mario

·
Registered
647 Posts
Temper Tantrum with shaved door, trunk handles, a 50 mercury dash, new quarters, rockers and interior floor partially finished and entire interior kit. I think you nailed it. I'm glad to see another Chevy getting the definition of gasser hot rod treatment! Watching!!! won't be my last.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not much new but decided on what engine I am going to use.... I am looking for a late 60's 307 that will get power pack heads, a cam and a tunnel ram. From what I am reading that 307 really wakes up with different heads. or maybe we just call it a 283 stroker....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Should be a cool build. Only thing to think about is if you ever want to take it to the strip I believe you need door handles.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
The 307 can be vastly improved with good heads, but a 350 would be too, and make more power. Plus the 350 is much easier to find, and probably as cheap or cheaper being so plentiful. It will also work better with a tunnel ram than a 307.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I hate to say it cause maybe it was my own fault but when I had a 307 rebuilt with a 327 350 factory cam with 650 dbl pump and cast iron intake it ran like a dog. Sounded awesome but had trouble breakin the wheels loose. So when I hear 307
Slowly I turn step by step Niagra falls. Lol
But we do what we want cause we all have our own taste in builds. I still don't know till this day what was really wrong with that motor. Hope yours turns out much better.
Mario

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I hate to say it cause maybe it was my own fault but when I had a 307 rebuilt with a 327 350 factory cam with 650 dbl pump and cast iron intake it ran like a dog. Sounded awesome but had trouble breakin the wheels loose. So when I hear 307
Slowly I turn step by step Niagra falls. Lol
But we do what we want cause we all have our own taste in builds. I still don't know till this day what was really wrong with that motor. Hope yours turns out much better.
Mario
It's what I call an upside down bore/stroke engine. Smaller bore than a 327/350, but longer stroke than a 283/302. It's kinda the opposite of what you'd want in an engine. Not enough bore for the longer stroke, and not a short enough stroke for the small bore.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
It's what I call an upside down bore/stroke engine. Smaller bore than a 327/350, but longer stroke than a 283/302. It's kinda the opposite of what you'd want in an engine. Not enough bore for the longer stroke, and not a short enough stroke for the small bore.
Yeah I learned all that after the fact. So when I hear anyone trying to build one I don't know what to say to them.
But everyone should build what they want.
Mario

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree fellas. I was just on Craigslist and there are a ton of 350's out there. I may end up putting a 350 in and just roll from there. I am never gonna run it down the drag strip, so as long as it busts the tires loose and sounds mean, I am all good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is also a lot of 454's around...........:) there is a song that goes "I LIKE BIG BLOCKS AN I CANNOT LIE"...or something like that. AnywayS iM digging your build! will B Watchin!

1 - 20 of 168 Posts