Gasser HotRod Forums banner
761 - 771 of 771 Posts

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
well, I got the new tie rod in and it does way better but on some serious bumps, it still gets wobble. So, I am going to get a stabilizer and be done with it once and for all. I still need to add shocks to the front end.
Good chance the lack of shocks controlling compression and rebound is definitely adding to your death wobble.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #762 ·
So I have been thinking a lot about how the car drives on the street. It really does OK, but that rattling when I let my foot off the gas still irks me. It does not do that on the streets, but only on the interstate. I ordered some neoprene bushings to help center the heim joint up front and hopefully stop all the rattling. Then I got to thinking about my tires. I have moroso drag specials on the front and MT sportsman on the back, but they are bias ply, not radials. I believe it is time to get into the 2023 era and get new radials. But Jesus H Christ they are expensive. The fronts are easy and cheap. 205R/15's are about 85 bucks a piece, but the rears, since I am running 15x10 rims are 300 a tire. You guys know if you can run slicks all the time, lots of good deals for used slicks. Also, I need a tube for slicks right?

Edit: I got a steering stabilizer ready to go in and I am going to be ordering front shocks as well, so I think the front end is good to go.

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
So I have been thinking a lot about how the car drives on the street. It really does OK, but that rattling when I let my foot off the gas still irks me. It does not do that on the streets, but only on the interstate. I ordered some neoprene bushings to help center the heim joint up front and hopefully stop all the rattling. Then I got to thinking about my tires. I have moroso drag specials on the front and MT sportsman on the back, but they are bias ply, not radials. I believe it is time to get into the 2023 era and get new radials. But Jesus H Christ they are expensive. The fronts are easy and cheap. 205R/15's are about 85 bucks a piece, but the rears, since I am running 15x10 rims are 300 a tire. You guys know if you can run slicks all the time, lots of good deals for used slicks. Also, I need a tube for slicks right?

Edit: I got a steering stabilizer ready to go in and I am going to be ordering front shocks as well, so I think the front end is good to go.
I would not run slicks all the time, unless they are DOT legal slicks. I was told by M&H that even their DOT slicks are not going to hold up to any freeway speed driving of more than about 10-15 minutes as they heat up too quickly. Plus slicks are soft compounds if they aren't DOT rated, and will wear out fast.
If you went with Towel City cheater slicks you'd be able to run them all the time, and no restrictions on freeway driving either, but they'll still cost you more $300 each with shipping costs. They're 10"x15" in 28.5" or 29.5" will be $360-$370, and shipping on top of that. But they'll wear forever on our cars, and I think they're a great investment.

I doubt the tires are causing the issues of stability, wobble, or noises though.
I didn't know MT Sportsmans were even made as a polyester tire anymore? Thought they were radials also? They don't list anything but radials at their site, so yours must be older tires maybe?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #764 ·
I would not run slicks all the time, unless they are DOT legal slicks. I was told by M&H that even their DOT slicks are not going to hold up to any freeway speed driving of more than about 10-15 minutes as they heat up too quickly. Plus slicks are soft compounds if they aren't DOT rated, and will wear out fast.
If you went with Towel City cheater slicks you'd be able to run them all the time, and no restrictions on freeway driving either, but they'll still cost you more $300 each with shipping costs. They're 10"x15" in 28.5" or 29.5" will be $360-$370, and shipping on top of that. But they'll wear forever on our cars, and I think they're a great investment.

I doubt the tires are causing the issues of stability, wobble, or noises though.
I didn't know MT Sportsmans were even made as a polyester tire anymore? Thought they were radials also? They don't list anything but radials at their site, so yours must be older tires maybe?
Oh no doubt Vall that they are old. They still have the L60-15 on them. That is why I am hesitant to do burnouts.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Dave,
I just wanted to say thanks for being an engaged member of the forum. There are a few members (of which you are included) who post on a regular basis. When the projects are starting and there is much to share it's enjoyable to keep up with them. It's the after build that many members seem to fall off the radar. I know that after the cars are built it may seem like there isn't much to post but even the smaller things (take the fuel lines on my 53 & Willys for example) aren't huge projects but it serves two subjects; letting other members know about potential safety issues and second just staying active. With these cars it seems there are always little things that go wrong and for me at least it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who has shit go south.
So, keep on posting!!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Oh no doubt Vall that they are old. They still have the L60-15 on them. That is why I am hesitant to do burnouts.
Man, those are some old tires; what's the DOT date on them. Many decades ago I had a pair of L-70/15 "Positraction" brand tires by Inglewood tire company on my 64 Chevelle, they were tall, wide and had great traction for the time. I do have to say that I miss that tire sizing method, I hate the current method.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #767 ·
Man, those are some old tires; what's the DOT date on them. Many decades ago I had a pair of L-70/15 "Positraction" brand tires by Inglewood tire company on my 64 Chevelle, they were tall, wide and had great traction for the time. I do have to say that I miss that tire sizing method, I hate the current method.
I do not even want to look at the DOT date. I knew they were old when I bought them, but wanted the chrome rally rims and they were 15 x 10's. I am going to save up over the winter for a new set of piecrust tires.

And thanks for the nice note above. For me it will never end with me not having questions about what the hell I am doing. So you will always see me asking!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #768 ·
Not sure how you guys feel about them, but I had a bunch of people ask me where my front tank was. So, I picked up a cheepo e-bay tank and with a not to the 30's 40's cars, hung a single fog light
off it. I also turned my air fuel screws in 1/4 of a turn and dropped the pressure 1 psi and she seems to run a lot better.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I hate the new method too. And when you tell them at the stores that a 70 is wider than a 78 they look at you like you have 2 heads.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Not sure how you guys feel about them, but I had a bunch of people ask me where my front tank was. So, I picked up a cheepo e-bay tank and with a not to the 30's 40's cars, hung a single fog light
off it. I also turned my air fuel screws in 1/4 of a turn and dropped the pressure 1 psi and she seems to run a lot better.

View attachment 108725
nice tank Dave. I bought one from speedway. Same exact tank.

761 - 771 of 771 Posts