Gasser HotRod Forums banner
721 - 740 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #723 ·
OK fellas, I tried to sort the high idle on the car last night. Sprayed starter fluid all around the bases of the carbs with no luck. Took each line off the car with no appreciable effect. Could this be a timing issue? Carbs verified not hitting the gaskets.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Dave, did you do as I suggested when the carbs were off and turn them over to make sure the secondaries were completely closing and not being held open (even the tiniest bit) by the stops that thread up from the underside of the carb base.
. The only other potential cause I can think of (if you haven't checked it already) is a leaky vacuum advance (if you're running one) diaphragm. Pull the hose off the carb and suck through it. If the diaphragm is good there should be resistance and the idle should speed up, if it's ruptured you'll feel no resistance, just be sucking air and that's your vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #725 ·
All the carb stuff with the butterflies. I will try the vacuum advance. If not that, I will take the carbs off again and double check

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Not timing, and not vacuum advance either Dave. It is possible there's a vacuum leak, and also possible the butterflies are not fully closed. I would not be driving the car until the high idle is fixed. It's either going to break the tranny putting it in gear at 2000 rpm's, or cause an accident trying to stop with the engine pushing the car this fast at the same time.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #727 ·
Not timing, and not vacuum advance either Dave. It is possible there's a vacuum leak, and also possible the butterflies are not fully closed. I would not be driving the car until the high idle is fixed. It's either going to break the tranny putting it in gear at 2000 rpm's, or cause an accident trying to stop with the engine pushing the car this fast at the same time.
OK, I am going to look at the butterflies again tonight. I will make sure they are all the way closed for sure

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #728 ·
Plus I should add, when I changed the carb gaskets, it idles around 1300 in Park and 1k in gear. still too high but better than 2k!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #731 ·
OK fellas! I took both carbs off and flipped them over. The butterflies looked closed and I have to give Steve a huge thanks for that video as I was watching the video and I started to move that little screw and although it was barely noticeable, the secondary's started to close. Buttoned it up and started the car. idles now at 900 out of gear and a little lower in gear. I may have to bump up the idle set because it died at a light today. Although it idles nice, I think it made a bunch of little problems apparent. It backfired when I let off the gas (which is new) and it seems off somehow. Can't explain it, just feels off.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Glad my suggestion worked Dave. As I think I mentioned when you first joined there's a shit load of members on here with an even bigger shit load of information and probably any problem you experience has happened to a member and someone will have a solution for you. As for the little problems you've encountered they're no doubt related to the carbs. When you got the secondaries to close completely it richened it up because the air that was entering through those secondaries was shut off. If you haven't already, check the adjustments of your mixture screws. Get it to idle as low as you can with the fast idle screw before you start to adjust the mixture screws
You're right about the idle, BAD ASS!!

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Unique and cool at the same time. Nice job On the interior panels.
would you consider making your carbs progressive linkage and run off the back carb for light driving so you can fine tune the carbs easier? My setup on the MG is a killer setup that gets 10 mpg and will snap your neck when you hit it. It took me a while to figure out the changes I needed to make.
I can make you a video to show you how it runs now and I can explain how I got there.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #734 ·
I am willing to consider anything at this point Mario!
Unique and cool at the same time. Nice job On the interior panels.
would you consider making your carbs progressive linkage and run off the back carb for light driving so you can fine tune the carbs easier? My setup on the MG is a killer setup that gets 10 mpg and will snap your neck when you hit it. It took me a while to figure out the changes I needed to make.
I can make you a video to show you how it runs now and I can explain how I got there.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I am willing to consider anything at this point Mario!
Take a look at my linkage setup In This video attached. If you want to do the same on yours I will try to get you a video to step by step setup. The linkage is about 90$ bucks. I added a spring to the setup so it’s progressive allowing more primary carb usage till it’s floored.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #737 ·
Went to a huge show yesterday, will post up some pics later. The day before I had one instance of the death wobble and it scared the crap out of me. I went back to the garage and looked at all nuts and bolts, pulled the front tires and checked the hubs, made a bracket to strengthen the steering box and it did it again on the way home from the show yesterday. The car never once did this in the beginning of driving it, then all the sudden it starts. I understand things loosen up after getting it on the road, but that front end is NOT loose.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Went to a huge show yesterday, will post up some pics later. The day before I had one instance of the death wobble and it scared the crap out of me. I went back to the garage and looked at all nuts and bolts, pulled the front tires and checked the hubs, made a bracket to strengthen the steering box and it did it again on the way home from the show yesterday. The car never once did this in the beginning of driving it, then all the sudden it starts. I understand things loosen up after getting it on the road, but that front end is NOT loose.
I wonder if your springs have settled a little and your caster angle has changed Enough to bring on the wobble. I had that problem too. After you check caster angle and the toe in, Reach under the car and pull on the tie rod and see if it bends when you pull it. If it does then buy one that is larger diameter or chromoly steel. I got mine from Art Morrison. If all else fails you can always install a VW steering stabilizer from the tie rod to the axle tube. That’s what I did. All gone.

Reactions: 1937Austin
721 - 740 of 759 Posts