Gasser HotRod Forums banner
701 - 720 of 759 Posts

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
I like to spray around the carb base with starting fluid to check for leaks. Start the engine and let it warm up until it idles, and then just do short shots of starting fluid at direct spots near the base. Don't go crazy with larger spray shots, or a leak may suck it in where your overspray goes. If you have a vacuum leak the engine rpm's will jump up when it sucks the starting fluid in. Then you can see where the leak might be, and fix it. But don't stop with the first place you hear rpm's go up as need to be sure there aren't multiple leaks. And be careful not to spray too high where the filters might pull it in and give a false reading.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 ·
OK guys, I decided to start on the interior of the car. Having been install stereo systems since high school and professionally for 20 or so years, I wanted to something different. Most of you guys are not gonna like it, or maybe will, who knows! I found a fabric store on line that sell the colored metallic vinyl that you used to find on Diner chairs in the 50's. Since I am not running a back seat, It is all going to be covered with white and orange vinyl with opposite color polka dots of varying sizes. I finally remembered to take pics of the process so you can follow along or not! LOL
N
First I had to cut all the circles. Good thing I have a couple sets of hole saws.
Art Wood Road surface Sidewalk Visual arts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #707 ·
How do the polka dots tie into the rest the car's theme Dave?
it will be a 50's themed interior. door panels, kick panels seats will all be like this. Then the outside sooner or later will be treated with panels and lace on the roof and so on. so all 50's and 60's

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Back to the future Dave? ;)
That's one of the great things about this genre of car building, no two are the same; the car is an extension of the builder. So when you go to a gasser show (tomorrow Gassers 8) it's not just a bunch of bought cars with different wheels.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 ·
Might not be a perfect match but we may just have a replacement "Holeinator". By the way Dave, that's a huge compliment
Thanks! This weekend I was all over the place. Big show coming up here is St. Louis on Sept. 25th. The area's largest and oldest rock station has a car show and I entered. So I have to get a bunch done. I took off all the damn trim around the headliner, took the bows out and got dumped on my some left over fiberglass. My entire head itches all the time now. Plan is to polish up the stainless and and get the painted parts sanded and done. a new headliner is gonna have to wait as they are pretty pricey. started mocking up door panels but that is being a little too ambitious. The side panels are ready to get covered by vinyl as soon as I have enough time to devote to them. Once started, you gotta finish and babysit to make sure the glue holds.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #714 ·
Turns out all that trim inside the and around the headliner is a virtual goldmine! Hardtops are getting so rare, I saw a couple of pieces on ebay that were going for a lot of money!

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Turns out all that trim inside the and around the headliner is a virtual goldmine! Hardtops are getting so rare, I saw a couple of pieces on ebay that were going for a lot of money!
Dave there's a guy in Oklahoma City called OK Headliners who sells them really cheap. I found him on Ebay under the user name "okheadliners" and got my black vinyl headliner for the '39 for $160. It a beautiful headliner and made of very heavy black vinyl. He seems to beat everybody's prices when I searched around.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #716 ·
Dave there's a guy in Oklahoma City called OK Headliners who sells them really cheap. I found him on Ebay under the user name "okheadliners" and got my black vinyl headliner for the '39 for $160. It a beautiful headliner and made of very heavy black vinyl. He seems to beat everybody's prices when I searched around.
wow. mine is 295 bucks from the same guy! time to start saving

701 - 720 of 759 Posts