661 - 680 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
I was hoping 5to have a video for you guys but the damn car only moved 5 feet! I got the brakes in, bled ( just a little mushy) and while the rear was on stands I started it and ran it through the gears. perfecto!I put the tires on, dropped it on the ground and went for its maiden voyage and it acted like the emergency brakes were on. Only problem is I do not have emergency brakes on it. I am beyond pissed and frustrated I just quit. I am hoping you guys have some idea on what is going on?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Congrats on the maiden voyage Dave!! Don't feel defeated, all of us have experienced the first drive blues. Hell, my most recent one I never made it completely into the street. I was backing the Willys pickup out my driveway, hit the brakes and the rearend assembly rotated when I stepped on the brakes. I'd neglected to weld the housing to the spring perches, DUH!!
As for your rear brakes my very first thought is they're adjusted to tight. Get the ass end in the air and try turning the wheels by hand. If it's really difficult try loosening the adjustment, I'm assuming you have drum rear brakes, is the first thing I'd check.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Sounds to me like your operating rod between the master and the pedal doesn't have enough freeplay and is holding the calipers tight and not allowing the master to fully retract. Try backing that rod off and see if the calipers release. If your brakes are mushy you've still got air in the lines, and that could also be from the operating rod being too far out eliminating full return of the master cylinder.
Do you have any residual valves in the brake lines? If so, check to ensure they're installed in the right direction too.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I probably should have gone back into the build thread to check and see if you had posted that you had rear discs; if I had known obviously I wouldn't have suggested what I did. Since Vall has already posted a suggestion about the disc brakes I won't because mine would have been along the same lines. Again with my Willys I had a problem with the stop light switch; while driving I had people telling me my brake lights were fluctuating on and off. When I did the brake lines I installed a T for an inline pressure switch. I figured I possibly had a bad switch so I bought a new one; same problem. I said the hell with it and made a bracket for an electric switch and welded it under the dash, the same efin problem. What it turned out to be is that I have a heavy fabricated steel brake pedal and the return spring I was using wasn't strong enough to hold the pedal up. One of the other problems that was corrected was similar to yours in that while driving the truck I'd get a faint burning brake smell that I attributed to new shoes and drums but it was also caused by the weaker spring that allowed the heavy pedal to apply enough pressure to activate the rear brakes (surprisingly enough it didn't affect the fronts) enough to rub on the drums causing the burning brake smell. My issue was resolved by installing a heavier return spring.
I hope your fix is as simple as checking your rod adjustment but since you'll be under the dash checking the rod adjustment check to make sure your pedal is being held "firmly" in the fully upright position.
Finally, quit teasing us with a soon to be released video!!!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #669 ·
sorry for the delay guys, I fell off a stool at work tuesday and have been on my back since. I think I aggravated every muscle in my back. I am going to buy a brake bleeder like Vall suggested and see if I can get it bled right. when I can move.... LOL

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #670 ·
Gentlemen! I present to you the Temper Tantrum on its maiden voyage! No burnouts yet but she is gonna be a bad ass car! I have a couple of leaks I need to take care of and my steering is a little messed up but she responds when you hit the go pedal! I want to thank each and every one of you guys for the wisdom, help and most importantly the encouragement when things went sideways! So far no death wobble!

enjoy!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #676 ·
OK guys a bit of an embarrassing incident that happened on it first cruise. I was making all right hand turns on that trip and when I tried to make my first left, it would not turn the wheels completely to the left. I guess I messed up on putting the Pittman arm on. so, (insert heavy sigh and red face) I took out a neighbors mailbox! Could not stop the car fast enough. Luckily, no damage to the car, but I had to spend 60 bucks on a new mailbox and cement it in the ground. He got an upgrade anyway! The other odd thing that happened was that most all of my lug nuts backed off. Luckily (*again) no damage but I had to replace all the lug bolts. as I was ordering from NAPA I discovered the bastards at Pontiac used M12 bolts! So I had put 5/8 lug nuts on and as I was driving around they backed themselves off. So I spend saturday with my cutoff wheel removing the traction control or something wheel from the axle tube as I did not want to remove the axles. so, axle is fixed. steering is fixed I think, and all I need is my speedo plug and I can take it out again. So embarrasssed, but it is funny looking baack at it.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
I guess you learned an important lesson that wasn't too expensive. And you and the car survived it too, which is great.
Have to turn the steering box full left and mark it; then turn full right and mark it again. Count the turns, and turn it halfway back, and you're at center.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Like Vall said Lesson Learned but welcome to hotrodding Dave.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #680 ·
OK guys, took the car out twice yesterday and she did great. I have almost all leaks fixed, I got my steering sorted but man is it sloppy. I assume I have to adjust the screw on top of the steering box to tighten it up? I now know what it is like for you guys to go get gas and have to play 20 questions. I pulled into my local gas station and had about 15 people walk over and take pics, ask questions. It was kind of fun, but I was like, hey I gotta get home. LOL

661 - 680 of 682 Posts