Gasser HotRod Forums banner

321 - 340 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
oohh I like it. I can then paint the front steelies the same color. Maybe clear it with a nice fine metallic silver flake.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
try a good flat chisel with a sharp tip to slide under the curled edge. separate is a little and then do what Vall suggested with hammer and dolly. Sometimes I use the Vise anvil to rest on and hit it.
great find. you always come across good stuff Dave. :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
well, I lost the wheels. I had a deal worked out with the seller to where I was going to bring him some parts for a car he was building from the town I live in, and meet halfway. Well the parts got sold so he backed out of meeting halfway. I told him to pound sand that I was not gonna spend 8 hours in the car for a set of rusty wheels.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Bummer. I've had similar things happen over the years. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but have to move on and try to forget it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Bummer. I've had similar things happen over the years. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but have to move on and try to forget it.
I hear ya. But the good news is today I got my metallic vinyl seat cover samples. I found a place where they have a ton of colors so I bought 12 sample swatches for a buck each to see what would look best in the car. Pics in a few minutes.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
OK. Thoughts? I am thinking of running a stripe right down the middle of the seat 2-3 inches wide. Picture of the dash for reference in color.

vinyl.jpg

vinyl 6.jpg

vinyl 2.jpg

vinyl 3.jpg

vinyl 4.jpg

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
What color paint are doing inside and out. If you’re leaving the interior dash as is I would go with light green and white. Combo. White with light green stripe or light green with white stripe.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
If you haven't nailed down a paint color, then I'd choose something neutral that will go with almost any color, just to be safe. Or wait to do this after it's painted. Best not to get to far ahead, and then paint yourself in a corner.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
If you haven't nailed down a paint color, then I'd choose something neutral that will go with almost any color, just to be safe. Or wait to do this after it's painted. Best not to get to far ahead, and then paint yourself in a corner.
The mint green does not go with my dash, so I am thinking of going all white. That will match anything I do with the car.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Hey guys, just checking in. Not much to show picture-wise, but I have been doing little things while getting the new house set up. I got the body fully connected to the frame with new rubber body mounts and my drivers door closes perfectly now! So that is a plus! I bought most of the stuff I need to finish the car, so it is just a matter of buckling down and doing it. Next up is to drop the oil pan and get the shaft on the pump I forgot. Then I am going to finish the wiring. I got all LED 1157 bulbs, new sockets tail light lenses, reverse lenses and new 12 volt headlights. One question I do have is what are you all using to mount your alternator? I bought a low mount meant for SBC's, but my alternator is too deep to mount it there and my heads do not have the accessory holes.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Hey guys, just checking in. Not much to show picture-wise, but I have been doing little things while getting the new house set up. I got the body fully connected to the frame with new rubber body mounts and my drivers door closes perfectly now! So that is a plus! I bought most of the stuff I need to finish the car, so it is just a matter of buckling down and doing it. Next up is to drop the oil pan and get the shaft on the pump I forgot. Then I am going to finish the wiring. I got all LED 1157 bulbs, new sockets tail light lenses, reverse lenses and new 12 volt headlights. One question I do have is what are you all using to mount your alternator? I bought a low mount meant for SBC's, but my alternator is too deep to mount it there and my heads do not have the accessory holes.
Don't forget to change your flashers to electronic flashers designed for LED lighting! If you don't, when you get ready to test them they wont blink with a normal flasher.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Are you using short water pump or long style? That’s first. Go to Speedway and see they have a lot of upper mount styles.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Its a shorty Mario. I ended up order one off of ebay. One of the kinds that uses the header bolts. That should work.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Its a shorty Mario. I ended up order one off of ebay. One of the kinds that uses the header bolts. That should work.
I'm using the chrome type that mounts to the #1 cylinder header bolts on both of my cars also Dave. It works great, and both of mine are high driver's side. But the mount could be installed on either #1 or #2 cylinder for right or left sides.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Thanks for the confirmation Vall. I really wanted it low but went with a bigger alternator to power the car amps I will be running. I gotta have my tunes!

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Without mounting holes in the heads, a low mount would take a custom built bracket to be fabbed up to mount it off the two water pump mounting holes, or the lower front motor mount holes. Either could be done, but not exactly easy.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Vall, There is a kit, but since I bought the upgraded alternator, it is too fat to go low. On a side note, remember when I asked if you could drop the oil pump shaft down the hole and the standard reply was no? Well, I lifted the motor up, took off my motor mounts, dropped the oil pan only to find I had bought a new shaft and it was in there all nice and pretty. The bright side to all this is that my tack weld on the pickup did not hold, so I cleaned up everything and welded it on the pump. It also gave me a chance to reach all the hard spots with my Eastwood rust encapsulater so the frame is mostly black now.

The day before, I got my cutouts welded onto the 3 hole collector mounts and put on the headers, then put my purple hornies up to see what kind of angle I was looking at. I think I am going to have to take it to a muffler shop to finish.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
I'd just use an angle finder to figure out the angle for the piece between the cutout and the muffler inlet, and then go visit a muffler shop and have them bend you up the piece with slip fit ends on the bend so you can slide it over, and put a weld on it.
My local muffler shop does this all the time for guys, and usually much cheaper than having the whole car there to make them up. This way you can have the piece made whatever length to adjust where the mufflers sit.

321 - 340 of 342 Posts