Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read that Doug Thorley passed away last week at 92 years old. A legend among drag racing fans for his header builds. At his prime almost every major competitor used Doug's headers at some point in their careers!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Another racing icon lost. Back in around 68 I had a buddy with a 56 Ford painted competition orange, Jim Prince. This was when Dougs Headers could be seen from the 5 freeway in I think it was the Santa Fe Springs area of LA. Jim had saved his money and we took his car to Dougs for a set of fenderwell headers to be built. I don't remember exactly but I think they were around $200 but that was some money when you were only being paid $3-$4 an hour and Chevron 110 octane Custom Supreme was like 42 cents a gallon. We were both 19 at the time and loving life in So Cal at the time.
Thanks for posting Vall; you beat me to it.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Sad to see them go one by one. I never owned his headers but always noticed his ads in the magazines.

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First pair of headers I put on my Camaro in 1973 was a set of Doug's headers. They were still on it, and in good shape when I sold it 44 yrs. later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts