Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately the BBC in my Falcon has had a couple issues. First it seemed to be idling higher, and even with the curb idle screws backed all the way off, the idle was still 1100 rpm's! Then I noticed it was very sluggish starting. And finally the less than stellar gas mileage got even worse! Never checked mileage, but with fuel prices back up, it was eating gas fast!
So I decided today was the day to tear into those carbs. Not an easy task just to get there, with dual carb linkage, dual fuel lines, scoop, dual air cleaners. But once I'd pulled the scoop, air cleaners, and began to disconnect the linkage, I'm staring right down the venturis of the carbs. Well at least down one! The rear carb' choke is 3/4 closed!
I immediately went around the other side to check the choke cable, which is common to both carbs, and the set screws are tight on both? Gremlins? Loosened the set screws, and opened the chokes; then retightened it all. Put a couple new air cleaner elements on, and fired it up. Wouldn't even idle then, as it was off the fast idle circuit, and too low.
Bolted everything back together, and set it back to 800 rpm. Hope this helps my horrible gas mileage go to just bad now. Cheap fix, but never dreamed it could be something that simple.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Cable housing moved under the Dash, or a housing tie let go????????????????????????????????

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. No problem with cable, or sheath. And no slack in the routing to allow change. Still a mystery.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
That makes it more scary, broken or weak eng. trans mount lifting and pulling it closed, inquiring minds want to know

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not hardly. Solid steel mounts on the engine. Trans mount is poly, as it has to be with solid engine mounts, but it's only a little over a year old.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Damn..... solid mounts must make your teeth chatter when sitting there idling. To many burnouts the body has moved back.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Yea I know, have you measured the wheel base lately to see if its getting longer L.O.L, it was a joke!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts