Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this point with a partial drivetrain in my shackles have reverted just a little bit off center the other direction, Im assuming once I add another 4-600 pounds they will be just a little bit more off center which Im assuming will be just fine?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Look fine to me. Better to be straight up, or slightly forward on front mounted shackles.
Ditto on that. Hey 1930 why not just continue on one thread? just a suggestion.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I had read that sometimes if they were too vertical they could fold back on themselves and make a mess of things?

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I don't know about that. If it's vertical and it's loaded with spring length it has to go longer and forward. Vall said it right. Vertical or just off vertical forward and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
180 Posts
4x4's with monster droop (like 3 wheels on ground, 1 in the air)
can and sometimes do end up folding the shackle 'the wrong way'
and then its a fun process getting it flipped back correctly.

on a 4x4's shackles we usually shoot for 45 degrees forward at ground rest height.
that way even if it hangs a tire it wont go the wrong way.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4x4's with monster droop (like 3 wheels on ground, 1 in the air)
can and sometimes do end up folding the shackle 'the wrong way'
and then its a fun process getting it flipped back correctly.

on a 4x4's shackles we usually shoot for 45 degrees forward at ground rest height.
that way even if it hangs a tire it wont go the wrong way.
Yes, this

I think I had read that even a radical car that would pull the front end off the pavement could do the same when it came slamming back down but I guess I neednt worry about that cause I dont plan to abuse the car that way

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
The issue of folding a shackle forward is created by the shackle being too far forward, too tall, or abusing the suspension hard. I shoot for level without load and have never had an issue with the shackle going too far forward loaded.
Too far back is asking for trouble! It means the shackle pushes directly against the mounting point until it rolls up to vertical and beyond. So when the vehicle is rolling down the road with the shackle too far back towards the axle it's constantly pushing laterally against the mounting point, instead of pushing up towards the frame rail. Just not a good idea to have the force in that direction constantly.

Put a toothpick vertically in a vise and push straight down on it. You'll poke a hole in your finger before you break it. But put even mild side pressure against that toothpick and it will snap easily. Same thing for mounting points, whether they're suspension, engine, trans, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts