Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Don Garlits edition Dixco tach today for the Silver Hawk. :D

It's getting harder and harder to find the old cool parts.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Those are great looking tachs, but may not work with some modern ignition systems. If you're running old style points distributor, and not HEI, or MSD, etc, it will be fine.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I love finding those original speed parts. I have a Sunpro tach built in 1969. It has a cracked lens and unfortunately Sunpro doesn't sell spare parts to replace it. I guess I will have to find some clear plastic to do it myself. Like everyone else said, lets see some pictures!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tach was shipped out to me today. I'll be arriving at home tomorrow and hopefully it's there the next day and I'll put some pix on here.

What's the deal with this tach not working with electronic ignition ?

19mach69 is the lens glass ? Can you cut a piece to fit ?

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Older tachs often don't have the intenal circuitry made to work with modern electronics. I put my old Mallory tach on the Austin with my Pertronix distributor and it wouldn't work. It spun the needle in 360 degree circles. Had to pull it and put a modern Sunpro in the car. The Autometer I originally had in the Austin worked perfect, but too new looking to use in the car.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
There is a company that rebuilds the older tachs to todays standards here in Seattle area. I see him at the local swap meets and drag reunion shows. If you are interested I can get his card out and send you his contact info. It is a bit spendy though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Geerbang, that is what I am going to have to do. I was hoping they had replacement lenses. I was thinking it might be a few bucks if they had one. Now I need to get some tools to cut it, which isn't a bad thing! New tools are great.

Mike, that rebuild company sounds interesting.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Very cool indeed! We had a local Moon rep who had a bunch of new tachs repainted in that pattern 5-6 yrs. ago, and quickly sold them all quickly. I never heard about it until my buddy got one, and I called to try and buy one, but too late.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought a moon tach and then there was some guy selling a decal kit that looks like the dixico tach that was for the Moon tachs. They look great

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well now I need to find a reputable repairman for this tach. Hooked it up yesterday and the only thing that would work was the light. So I dissected the tach and the needle has come detached. My hands shake to bad to perform surgery on this gem so it's off to a repair shop. You guys have any reputable places in mind ?

I did find a date of April 1972 stamped inside the tach. I was giggling when I found that because the tach is a year younger than me. Hahahahahahahahaha

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
We have a local shop called Instrument Sales and Service. They been around for at least 40 yrs., and have an excellent rep. If it's just putting the needle back on you should be able to find any instrument repair shop local to you that could reinstall the needle.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I've shipped the tach off to Bobs Speedometer. Hopefully he can fix it up for me. What a cool piece that will be for the silver hawk.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts