Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to go with a four wheel disc setup on the Mercury.
The question I have is should I stick with the standard GM/ford discs and calipers or upgrade to a system from Wilwood or Aerospace?

What setup is everyone using? Positives/Negatives
The car will be driven on the street but it will also see track time.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I prefer using factory calipers and rotors, as it's always easier to get replacement parts when I need them. GM calipers are very common in many disc brake swap kits, and another good reason to go with them. I'd choose a rear axle that either comes with disc brakes, or is easily adaptable to disc. Then in front the options are endless for what you use, depending on what axle will be up front. Your stock axle is easily converted to disc, and brackets can be purchased cheap at Speedway to accept common factory type calipers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would echo all of what Vall has said above. In my opinion, the Willwood brakes really shine where the vehicle will see some pretty harsh braking coming into corners (especially with heavy vehicles). Gassers really aren't meant for that, but if you are putting down some impressive 1/4 mile times, I could see having the added braking power has a huge bonus.

I haven't upgraded from drums just yet, but when I do, the setup will be front disc / rear drum with factory style calipers, rotors, and pads, so hopefully I can find replacement parts about anywhere.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the input. I was planning to go with the stock gm/ford parts but I didn't know if I was missing anything with the aftermarket parts. Accessibility of replacement parts are definitely a plus.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
No knock against Wilwood, or any of the aftermarket brake vendors. I just think my money is better spent on putting together a system with factory discs. The Nova I just helped my friend build uses Ford Explorer disc in the rear, and GM metric disc in the front. It will put you through the windshield if you're not buckled in on a hard stop.
The big difference in aftermarket systems isn't how well they stop, it's how well they stop after continuous braking, like on a road course, or autocross. They don't see brake fade as soon as stock rotors will. But since we're not autocrossing our gassers, it's an unnecessary expense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts