Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 66 mustang wanting to install straight axle. wanting to look at photo journal if there been one posted.
thanks hope my question posted in correct area

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Welcome Tim. I've wanted to see a Mustang done since I saw this WIP.

Talk to Vall about how he set up his Falcon, it's basically the same thing. Should be a piece of cake.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Kinda depends on what your plan is for the drivetrain, as to what you need to do before installing a straight axle. If it's a small block without being high HP, then you can probably get away with some mods to the unibody frame, and be fine. If it's a big block, or a high HP car, then you might want to look at what I did to install a straight axle into my '63 Falcon, with a 464 Chevy big block.
http://www.gasserhotrods.com/forum/showthread.php?1072-63-Falcon-Futura-Gasser

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Now that looks cool. Put a chevy in it and that would drive them Ford boys right over the edge! Almost looks like an Econoline front axle under it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Tim. I've wanted to see a Mustang done since I saw this WIP.

Talk to Vall about how he set up his Falcon, it's basically the same thing. Should be a piece of cake.

Mike
love the old photo thats what i want running 302 5 speed. want it street legal to show younger kids coolness

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
302 and a 5 speed should be a great choice for a Mustang gasser. You should be able to get away with plating the bottom and one side of the frame to make the mounting points heavier for welding shackles and perches. An Econoline straight axle from the early to mid 60's is a good choice, as they adapt easily, and have the 5x4.5" bolt pattern. Easily converted to discs if you want, but it will stop great with drums too. I'm still using drums with my BBC power, and it stops great with a Mustang dual master cylinder and Explorer 8.8 drum rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts