Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Steve, it kinda looks like the Zingers model cars from years ago, remember those? They are available as rereleases.
Andy

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Why SO HIGH

Look hard, can you see his ladder bars. :cool: this car looks crazy. :)

Steve .... Ray Charles & Stevie Wonder could see those ladder bars.

Never could figure out WHY cars setup like this one used such a high "4 wheel drive" monster truck look. I know the standard "gasser look" with its "nose high stance " must have prompted/influenced others to do this kind of "stance" on cars like this Javelin.

I can ONLY assume it was to duplicate the gasser front end stance..... as for the rear.... my guess was that by raising the rear that "high" was a way to fit BIG tires under it without having to modify the fenderwells????? Other than that I cannot see any reason or benefit (traction) for raising a car's suspension "high" all the way around???? Do NOT remember any car like this Javelin being very successful drag racing. Almost like they were built with "ALL SHOW - NO GO" ...... for "shock value" than effectiveness on the drag strip????

Standard Gasser Stance:

Why do this stance Cars????:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Now it takes a lot for me to dislike anything Gasser like. But that's nowhere in the realm of a gasser like car. That's definitely 4 wheel drive territory. Those '55's are too high also but still not to that degree. Mark L

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if they were looking for ( shock and awe ) it worked. I'm sure it has something on the line of the Donk, as Vall mentioned.
The 55 I'm building is a bit high but only in the rear, which is 29 inches to the rear quarter panel lip and 28 inch in the front.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I understand a little high, like a car that the owner doesn't care to radius the rear wheelwells. But when the rear wheelwells are way above the rear tire, then it's just done to get attention, not for tire clearance. I personally have no problem chopping up sheetmetal, but I understand those who are hesitant.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I remember the late 60's, really I do, that most folks had the back end of the car jacked up to clear the big tires. Most of the gasser style rides were 55 ish Chevs with the front lifted to match. So trying to be era correct the last couple of 55's are set up the way they usta be. But that Javelin, that is just wrong in so many ways! To each their own.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Not defending the javelin here, but street gassers have a little less purpose and a little more effect. That's why my car isn't a race gasser.

This site is usually a bit less bitter towards other people's rides.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yes, I didn't mean to come off as a hater. Just too radical for me. Those '55's are/were to tall for the affect but as noted, they were built as more in your face expressions. But the execution looks great. Quality, not crappy builds. The AMX is not the right car for that kind of look, but I give the builder credit for building it. Mark L

·
Registered
643 Posts
Vall, Steve,
Donks?
Tom

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Vall, Steve,...... Donks? Tom
Is that what those "high riding Gassers" are called??????

I actually like some of them ..... especially the '55 Chevys.....

I remember this one was featured in "Hot Rod Magazine" (I think???)....... thought it looked cool BUT they look like they are a handful to control & also rough to ride in.

But then, with the way things are today it wouldn't surprise me if they actually ride & handle OK !!!!!! Who ever thought we would see the "radical engines" we see in cars today actually running, being able to drive long distances as well as being very dependable...... and FAST !!!!!

Back in the day it wasn't like ...... Oh I can remember VIVIDLY fighting with many a "Holley carb" just to get it to idle without putting the car in "neutral" at every stoplight.

In that regard the times have in fact "changed"...... I truly MISS the ways it WAS "back in the day"...... But in many ways the way "IT IS" today is better !!!!!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hi Tom, Are you talking about the super big rims on Impala style cars? Yep seen em. But they do not seem to ride very well. I see them bouncing around every once in a while. Similiar to lowriders, only the other direction.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Bet those wheels & tires don't come cheap !!! ??? !!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ok Guys, the caprice is a donk! I found out a few years ago that donk is short for donkey, you know kinda ornery and awkward looking. And not to offend anybody, but I call them **** cages.
Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts