Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after looking at what I had done I just could not make it work, to big and boxy.....so I remade the top and shorted it 2 inch's back made new support brackets...that added more curve to the dash top, then re cut the face,...witch will be part tuck and rolled and the cut away will be aluminum with gauges and switches mount in the face...I am hoping to be able to mod the instrument cluster to fit in to the cavity rather than making a hood for it....amazing how much time it takes to do this stuff...tough to make mounting holes in places that leave you blind to where they are with the cover over them and back against the windshield took a lot of pattern making for each hole...but its solid.... now i get to epoxy the hard board so it wont crack and will hold its form and glue will stick to it,,,yea epoxy time.....not...I get it on every thing

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you SURE that you want to re-invent the wheel? There are just SO many cool looking dashes out there that could be cut/shaped/adapted as-is or in part that making one seems like making a speaker box . . . always looks home made even when it's covered in vinyl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-06-LIN...ash=item4b09d5e0a1:g:~7AAAOSw~gRVrX1I&vxp=mtr

Or

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Find one that you can work with close to home and save shipping.

Maybe?

Maybe not—

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
If you plan to glue anything to hardboard, I hope you find a glue that sticks! I've had nothing but trouble with almost all great quality glues sticking to it! Over time it lets go, and the upholstery eventually slips out and needs to be addressed again. That's one reason I want to do some aluminum pieces on my Austin interior. The hardboard has forced me to re-glue the upholstery 4 times in the last 6 years.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tommy I thought about using the same old plastic stuff but no its not close to what I am doing... plus my dash will cost me about $20 bucks.... and will look home made.....Vall Iam not gluing any thing Iam coating it to make it more solid ...the dash upholstery will be held on with snaps...plus the upholstery is fee and will be done by my friend who does custom stuff for a living, he is going to do it in grey with a black piping and welting....also most hard board or Masonite will not stay glued cause they contain linseed oil or another type oil when they press the board to form it....even the epoxy wont stick to it, but a penetrating will make it more durable cause it will soak in to the soft side...soft side wont hold glue cause the fuzzy breaks down and not on the hard side do to linseed oil for the finish...they also make a card board that is water proof that is suppose to work great and easy to work with.....its what the oem's use in later cars....How do I know this...I got a friend that is an upholsterer....didn't think I figured that out on my own..................lol............did you...I not be that smart

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Retinking the rethinking

Rik you funny guy thank you....yea its fun...and more holes.....My friend came by to day with some fabric so we mocked up the inside and layed samples on the dash....It wasnt a good fit...we both agreed it was out of character for the theme I am going for....so out came the hole saw's again...decided to do it in bed-liner with aluminum trim to help keep its shape...it will match the roll bar as well other out side components...took some L stock and pop riveted in to a channel component to hold and keep the hard board from warping....and for mounting....I used Tite bond glue on the top of the dash to make stronger and hold its shape...also as a bonding agent for of all things the bonding agent for the bedliner paint....sometimes I wished I had a good photo shop program...rather than just seeing it in my head

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts