Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys it's not a gasser's but it is my next project with my youngest son. We built a rotisserie for it this weekend ( man these are the greatest ) to get this thing going . And I know this is not the place for this but I respect all the good guys on here and the opinions. So I thought it would be ok to ask a few questions :cool:. 1st is how to time effectively remove under coating ? Would like to get to all of that crap gone. Then start replacing some bad spots. [/ATTACH] thanks guys.
My coupe got pushed back a bit but I'm cool with that not every day I can build a car with the kids !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I think it is a great idea Scott! Please start a build thread for it. I dont know if it is the best or easiest. But the old fashioned way to get undercoating off is dirty, messy, and sucks big time. Butane torch, heat it up a little, NO FIRES, then scrape it off with a big putty knife. Someone may have a better way. I would be all for that. Or you could hot tank the body.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Hey scott. Great project. Rotisserie is awesome way to do it. Mikes idea comes to mind for me too. I'm wondering if rock miracle paint and filler remover will dissolve it too. Would be worth a try. That stuff works awesome on paint. May work on undercoating too. Wish you the best on your family project.
Mario

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Yeah, I'm in for seeing it as a project! We're open minded here! I agree with Mike on the torch to warm and soften the undercoating. And since I know what you do for a living; another choice is a heat shrink gun. The heat shrink gun wont ever get so hot as to start a fire, so might be easier to start and stop as you go along.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What an awesome project, Scott! I agree with the other guys, start a build thread. And I'm sure the coupe won't mind taking a back seat to the kid's Cuda. Looking forward to watching the project and the inevitable great big grins on the youngster's face. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok guys it's been a while but we got back on track I hope . (My son is working a lot :) ) I guess I did that to him !. We started removing the floor pan as it just seemed like the best thing to do as it was a little rotted in many places. We will use a spot weld removal bit to get the rest of the pieces off the frame . Were only going to replace the front floor pan 1st as I don't want to remove the whole floor all at once and get some twisting or bending :mad: that would be bad ! As we are new to this so baby steps I believe is best.
I dropped the motor (440) off to builder friend . We are going with stock 6 pack specks at 40 over and balancing the rotating assembly . The trans I believe we are going with is a 833 with overdrive (we own ) he feels it's going to be to week and thinks we should get a reg 833 we will see as we go. I hope to get some more done this week maybe the new pan fitted in place . He has no school & only works till 330 so we can get on it when he gets home .:cool:
View attachment 2857
Sorry about the sideways pic errrrrrr not good at this part :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts