Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While vacationing on the East Coast last week. I saw this Anglia and thought you folks would like it. It was running in Mooresville, NC

Brandon

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wow! Vacation clear across the country! Awesome. Welcome to the "Old North State." Looks like you had a nice trip, made it out to the Mooresville Strip. I noticed the IHRA sticker and the years '70-'72. I honestly don't recall seeing the car or running against it but the name rings a bell. Maybe it will come back to me......... That's been a few days ago. :D

Ever get back to the NC coast look me up. I'm between Camp Lejeune and the "Crystal Coast". Ahhhh.....the sounds of Freedom! :D

Thanks for the picx!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The vacation of our dreams, heh. Thanks for getting the pics. But??? Ain't that an Austin????? (Duck, Val is coming in strong, LOL)!!! Mark (oh I'm in so much trouble) L

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Yeah, I mistake those old Anglias for Austins all the time! ;)
Especially when they're red! :)

Hey Brandon; next time you see your buddy, please pass on my thanks for a great job setting up the Gut Cruise for us to enjoy! We really appreciate all his efforts!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Val,Absolutely. Wish I could have gone this year.
But I did get to go to Myrtle Beach, Darlington Dragstrip,Mooresville Dragstrip and the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte,not to mention a family reunion in Kentucky...............busy vacation:)
I run out to Charlotte pretty often....I'll give everyone a heads up next time,mabey we could meet up
Brandon

·
Registered
2,277 Posts

Really like the "Isky" gold leaf lettering..... creative

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is some info from some folks on H.A.M.B about this car..................

"I used to work at Southern Automotive! They were the connection in the '60's thru the '90's! Bill for the straight-line guys, and Nelson for the roundy-rounds!"
Brett4Christ

"the Hartsoe Bros. (one was named Gwyn, the other the late Elmer) ran that car back in the late 60's and 70's. Most of the paint job is original from 1969. Currently owned by Mac Pressley. It was an IHRA record holder in the early 70's.
Last I heard Gwyn had a shop in Kannapolis NC"
HotRodDon

" It was an AA/GS big block Chevy powered Anglia that could hold it's own with the Chrysler powered cars back in the day. Saw it run at Darlington and Rockingham IHRA Nationals many times"

Frank Spittle

"

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
In those day the chassis tune was as important as the motor tune. The motors could be quite different in power potential but part of the great equalizer was sorting out the traction, then the wheelstands. A great chassis guy could make a lesser powered motor just as competetive as the more powerfull ones. One of the reasons that you could see the little guy run so successfully with the big dogs until the big dogs became corporations and million dollar businesses. The big dogs bought the services of the great chassis guys as well as the best motor builders/parts. The littel guy could not out power money. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Yeah, and back then a driver could really make a big difference in win/loss records. Cars were so much simpler without computers and electronic controls, but drivers really had to know their cars, and how to make them go fast and straight!
That's what I like about the small time races today. Drivers have more to do, and most work on their own cars between rounds along with the crew. A driver who works on his own car has a real advantage over a paid gun who sits in the air conditioned trailer between rounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts