Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, ...got a converter that I'm having a hard time identifying, Came with a 700r4 I got..( tho, not bolted in trans)...identifying marks are stamped on. There is D7 stamped around complete circumference and O B 16 D STAMPED IN ONE AREA. It is 12" dia. Now it gets tricky...the input is not completely splined. Every 9 splines there is a gap where there is nothing. I have called numerous converter places..( Reman, Bulkparts etc), and no one has a clue. Thinking this may be something other than a sbc set up or some type of off brand. Any clues?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..being doing mock-up for all the drive train, so trans is mounted in truck...will check fit when I get it back out. Just trying to get whatever info I can on the parts I have . Hate to purchase a converter because I can't verify what I already have.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Here's the only info I have for the 700r4. I can't see anything that might ID your converter there, but maybe you can determine if there is? I've seen the marking D5 and D7 around the edge on 700R4 converters, but not sure what it might mean. Also not sure if a 12" is higher stall, but most stock converters were 13", although some Camaros and high performance apps. used a 10.5" converter.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=4L60-700R4tc

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys for the input...I have heard that the smaller ( 12" and under) were the performance ones. Thanks Vall for clearing up the D7 stamp. Do the 27 spline converters normally have the gap every 9 spline?...took it to a tranny shop today..( this guy races so I figure let em get a first hand look see.....didn't have a clue) so, I figure it came as a package,trans, .and motor with a mild build, hoping they follwed thru on the rest of the drivetrain...we will find out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts