Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding a tunnel ram for a Ford FE you'd think would be easy especially since the 390 & 427 were very successful in drag racing, right. Well, you're wrong. None of the major manifold companies made them. The only company who marketed anything was Pro Stock engineering and it was an adaptor that bolted to the heads and then a tunnel ram for a Ford 351 that bolted to it. When I was looking for one years ago there was one for $2500, way to expensive. This is one currently on ebay for $3500
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

I finally found a Ford tunnel wedge manifold that I purchased for $1500, still more than I really wanted to pay. This one is currently on ebay for $2500, WTF!!
Font Gas Auto part Metal Machine

Am I out of touch, just cheap or both? I'm glad "Road Angel" isn't here to respond to that, he'd BBQ me, LOL. In retrospect I guess I got a good deal on the manifold I bought plus it was nos. The only thing I had to do was get two carb adaptors welded on so I could bolt the Holley 650 dps on sideways.

·
Registered
694 Posts
And the title of your post is? Try and find shit for a CADILLAC!! Remember or look it up. Cadillac and Oldsmobile were cats meow for inches and strength.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Scott, I believe the title and content of my post is self explanatory. As for a Cadillac motor I'm very familiar with the cost because I assembled my cousins blown Cad motor. This ain't my first rodeo.

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Doing a bit of fine tuning; I think I was adding a couple degrees of advance.

Hood Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Administrator
13,662 Posts
The odd intake that was part of the heads on those big FE motors made them a lot of work to build a pattern, and then machine the final product. I bet they were all extremely expensive whether they were a tunnel ram, or an adapter to a tunnel ram. And unlike a more traditional intake they couldn't be fabricated from heavy aluminum tubing and sheets to make either.
It seems crazy high, but since they're virtually unobtainable it's just not something seen often enough to set a price based on others for sale.
I think your $1500 purchase was a sound investment myself.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right on the $1500 for the Ford tunnel wedge manifold Vall especially because as I mentioned above the one I purchased was nos. A while back I was researching the tunnel wedge thinking it was developed for NACAR but couldn't find anything. I did however come across a photo of a GT 40 with one. Probably not used originally (might not even have been available back then) but it sure looked cool in the photo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts