Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to visit the local veteran cemetery trying to beat the crowd before the 11th . Younger people with a young female wearing her girl scout attire. The young female approach me and asked me a ? . The young female told me she n parents had notice a few headstones with coins on them. She asked if the coins had meanings when left on the headstones and if the meanings the denomination of coin? My answer to the young female was a coin left on a headstone or at the grave site is meant as a message to the deceased soldier’s family that someone else has visited the grave to pay respect. Small tokens are left by visitors for no greater purpose than to indicate to the family that someone has visited that family member. Each coin does have its own meaning. Leaving a penny on the gravestone means that you paid your solider friend a visit. A nickel means that you and your fallen soldier buddy both went to the same boot camp or other military training together. If you were lucky enough to have served with the soldier, then you leave a dime. This next one is very sad and may make you cry. A quarter is very significant because it means that you were there when that soldier died. The coins left at graves in national and state veterans cemeteries are collected and the funds are put toward maintaining the cemetery or paying burial costs for indigent veterans. A grateful heart remembers each & every veteran for their sacrifice and courage. For those gone…Thank You for being there to protect this great country, its freedom and liberty a beacon for all. Thank You to each family member for all of their personal sacrifices known only to God. Happy Veteran Day

1 - 3 of 3 Posts