Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking, leaf springs in back, coil over shocks for stiffness and ladder bars with a shackle up front on the top side.

Front, leaf springs and coil over shocks.

My question is, is this common and practical. When I look for Gasser information on the interweb it's just not a subject that's as popular as Kardashian happenings.

I don't want to run a four link or ladders and coil overs.
I could be all wet but that's what's in my head.

Are there any major set backs to this setup ?

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
get the spring rates right and the coil overs will not be needed, I think you will find its going to be on the stiff side in the front depending on spring length, short stiff, long smoother you can add a leaf here and there if need, I dont like load levelers overs on stock pin type mounts cause I have seen the pins break off, if you want more lift then you can have the leafs re-arched, true coil overs would be way over kill unless with 4 link, now if your talking load lever shocks (spring asst.) thats different but I think it would be over kill, unless the spring are clapped out, dont rule out gas charged shocks if you need just a touch more stiffness, and ride control

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
I'd choose either leaf springs, or coilovers, but not both. No reason to add coilovers to a leaf spring suspension, and leaf springs all around work very well if set up correctly. I have cheap Monroe air shocks on the rear of my Falcon, in addition to leaf springs. I run them fairly low on the street, but when I go to the dragstrip, I run the air up and adjust it side to side, to keep the car from squatting too much at launch, and also go straight. I always use dual feed lines, so in the right rear I run 20 lbs. more than the left rear. Did this for decades on my 427 Camaro when I raced it, and it worked so well I decided to do the same on the Falcon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Air shocks make good sense for the rear and it will be cheaper and easier to adjust. Adding leafs to the front if necessary is easy enough. Great to have this forum so that novice gasser builders like myself get quality advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts