Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to use the pedal cluster and clutch cable that came with my doner car for my Austin project and had a question about the clutch pedal throw and clutch fork movement.

The cable that I'm using came from a mid seventies Monza, the clutch/trans is Ford, the pedals are MGA. I've drilled the upper (above the pivot bolt) part of the clutch pedal with four holes in a row so there is a good amount of adjustment there. The cable has a split end piece, so a simple clevis pin arrangement will work fine. The clutch fork end of the cable will also work with the Ford arm so hopefully everything will bolt up and work well.

I'm wondering if anyone know the amount of movement necessary with an early Mustang clutch fork so the the pressure plate will fully disengage? Just an approximation would be good to get me started. With the four holes from close to the pivot point on up the arm, I have a good amount of adjustment bu just choosing a different hole. I could extend the upper portion of the pedal if needed. For right now, in order to get things started, I was just wondering how much movement/throw in the fork is standard.

If anyone has a clue, PLEASE post ! !

I know that I could use a slave/master set-up pretty easily, but I never liked the feel of those, especially for racing. They seem too much like an on/off switch to me. I'd MUCH rather use a cable set-up if possible.

Thanks,

TC

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Most mechanical clutch forks require at least 1" of travel at the end of the fork to get good disengagement. Some might need slightly more, but 1" should get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ! I think that I can manage that with the set-up that I'm working with here.

When I know more, I'll post just in case other folks might be trying the same sort of thing.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Just went through this last year when building up my Z bar and clutch linkage on the '63 Falcon. I used the stock Falcon Z bar tube, and lower arm, but built a new upper arm, and adjusting rods for both ends. Down at the clutch fork I used a stock Chevy adjuster, but made up the rod from 3/8" fine all thread, with a heim joint at the lower Z bar arm. Above I used more 3/8" fine all thread, but put heims at each end to allow pedal height adjustment.
The heims really make the whole system smoother than a factory friction fit, and the heavy pressure plate really feels lighter when depressing the clutch pedal.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
The cable setup is the same on my Vega. There is a place that the cable mounts to the GM bell to pull the fork towards the front of the car (as apposed to a z-bar that pushes). Is your Ford a pull type or are you putting the cable behind and pulling the fork towards the rear? Interested to see what you are doing.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts