Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have a friend who used chambered exhaust on his Camaro BBC ..... he ran the exhaust pipe all the way back exiting in the stock position under the rear bumper.

It had a nice mellow sound..... not as loud as one would expect from a long piece of pipe with no restriction or baffling inside..... with only dimpling from the outside to tone-down/mellow the exhaust note. I assume the powersticks are similar in design.

I used the "shorty Summit" muffler and was surprised how LOUD they are. Not much bigger in diameter than a tail pipe ..... so it you're looking for loud.....

go to: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-630810

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what i was thinking Steve, especially with my rear setup the way it is i will have run everything on the outside of the fram and end near the rear wheel somewhere
They do sound great, and they take up a whole lot less room too. ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will check em out. Do you have any sound clips?
I have a friend who used chambered exhaust on his Camaro BBC ..... he ran the exhaust pipe all the way back exiting in the stock position under the rear bumper.

It had a nice mellow sound..... not as loud as one would expect from a long piece of pipe with no restriction or baffling inside..... with only dimpling from the outside to tone-down/mellow the exhaust note. I assume the powersticks are similar in design.

I used the "shorty Summit" muffler and was surprised how LOUD they are. Not much bigger in diameter than a tail pipe ..... so it you're looking for loud.....

go to: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-630810

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
With a few exceptions, I've almost always run the cheapo turbo mufflers. They are compact in length and thickness, but might be a problem width wise on some cars. The Austin is pretty cramped underneath, and they just barel fit in the open area I have. I've always found them to be loud enough, but not obnoxious.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info. I want loud but not overbearing. Cops are pretty cool here in the small town i live in. I was even thinking dynomax bullet mufflers but then seen the powersticks and they really seem to have the "old hotrod" sound.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
That's why they make caps and cutouts for header collectors! If you want really loud just set up your headers with a dump collector you can open when you want to. That's why I put electric cutouts on the Austin. We used to pull over and uncap just before we got to a cruise area or show, but now I just hit the switch and instant open headers.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Vall i would like a set of those but they kinda pricey. I'll tell my wife thats what i want for christmas. Bet that will happen lol.
That's why they make caps and cutouts for header collectors! If you want really loud just set up your headers with a dump collector you can open when you want to. That's why I put electric cutouts on the Austin. We used to pull over and uncap just before we got to a cruise area or show, but now I just hit the switch and instant open headers.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Yeah they're not cheap, but Badlandz HPE makes the best, and the cheapest by far. Only electrics with 5 yr. warranty, and around $275 a pair (shipped) with switched control wiring kit.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow that is cheap! Maybe i will get a set after all.:D
Yeah they're not cheap, but Badlandz HPE makes the best, and the cheapest by far. Only electrics with 5 yr. warranty, and around $275 a pair (shipped) with switched control wiring kit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts