Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a Chrysler k member grafted to my ford truck. Steering box is huge, heavy and in the way of the motor mounts, headers etc. Would like to rid the box for something smaller yet also for power steering. Concerns around the splines for the steering "link?"( arm) thanks in advance

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Couple choices that work well, and get the box outside the frame rail too, so allows extra clearance. The late 70's Mazda or Courier PU box worked great for my Falcon. In stock pitman arm position, it mounts behind the axle centerline, but filing the notch out on the pitman arm allows it to be installed 180 degrees off, and it becomes a forward mount box.
Another choice (in a power steering box) is the late 80's Toyota PU box, which also sits outside the frame. They also made these in manual, if you don't want power steering. The junkyards are full of 80's Toyota trucks around here. Most U pull it's sell them for $35 if you remove them. If they have a steering joint above the input shaft, I cut the shaft off with my battery sawzall above the joint, and take that too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the info... my set up is a "rear steer"? sso...,the boxes your referring to would be considered rear steer?..also, with the box outside the frame, a little creativity lining up the steering column..yes?..thanks in advance

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Yes these are all rear steer boxes, and would work as is for your setup. I cut the keyway out of the pitman arm and reverse the pitman arm when I move them forward of the axle for front side steering.

But these boxes that sit outside the frame don't need anything special to connect them to the steering shaft. Although they sit outside, the body of the box sits on top of the frame rail, so a direct shot at the column and easy to line up.
This is the Courier/Mazda box on my '63 Falcon:

·
Registered
29 Posts
got a line on a manual box and matching column and wheel from a 65 belvidere.. pics. look like it would work, and the price is right. All else fails, will be hunting at the bone yard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts