Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this would be a thread to post in this section, this forum or what,, I signed up on the chev legends ,, but that seems to be all tri five chevs,

This is what I have ,, a few years ago, I chopped the top on a 39 chev coupe, not really a easy chop,,
So I was wondering if it would be acceptable to discuss what the job involves and how to do it.. chopping any other simular coupe would be pretty much the same procedure,,,,
I have alot of pictures to show,,, but I think You guys should say Yeah or Nae before I do this<<<<:confused:

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Yup this is the spot Bill so post away. Chops are one of the most interesting mods and every other rodder has a different way of going about it. Can't wait to see how you dropped the old coupes top...
By the way you can also move the thread over to the Legends , it's not just trifives and I post both places and administrate that sit also so if ya need assistance over there shout..... ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
View attachment 2962 Thanks Steve,,,, I got this 39 Chev through a trade. so I decided to build it with a custom flair to it,, starting with a top chop, never chopped a coupe before,, I had done a few Model A's square top easy chops,, but never a car with the rounded tops, but what the heck,, its only metal right,??

I wanted to lay the windshield back, the back window forward, and take the squareness ( is that a word?) out of the back of the top,,
so heres how I did it,
I first laid out the cut lines with a black marker pen,, and started cutting,, cuts around the back window, leaving the botton metal under the window intact, the A pillars were marked at 3" to be removed, and at the bottom of the A Pillar, a slice cut down towards the hinge , right above the dash, to allow the windshielsd to be pulled back about 2 -3 inches what ever it took to slope the windshield back,, and the top of the A pillar sliced enough for the top to be lifted to keep the profile straight to the rear,,( no slope to the roof)
in order for the top to lay down around the back window, that was to stay the origional size ..the sides had to be sliced in sections, and small triangle shaped pieces welded in where the sections separated and lapped over the rear window,,, the excess metal that was now lapping over the leaned forward rear window,

Sectioned the hood 2" in front to 0 in back, leaned the grill back to match the hood.. 36 ford headlight lenses , on hand made pods..( what a job that was) hand made grill,,,
and thats where I was when a fellow from Canada decided he needed it more than me, I met him In Bellingham wash to deliver the car, rolled it off my trailer on to his, ( on his trailer backwards) hood was strapped down with a binder,, but somewhere along his trip to Calgarie the hood blew off and he couldn't find it,, eventually the hyway dept found it. and he got it back,,,
anyway heres it is, EDIT having a little trouble loading pictures but I'll get it figured out sorry guys

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Sounds cool Bill! Can't wait to see the pictures! Did you see the chopped '38 Chevy coupe that was on the local Craigslist? Looks sinister with it chopped.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Bill. Your idea to share your experience is fantastic. Someday, somehow, on something I intend to do a top chop. Any thoughts, pics and directions you are able to share I'm all over it. Once I get enough "GUTS" to do it I can look back on this and other posts and go to it. Looking forward to your pics and cut by cut descriptions. Mark L

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Steve,, Sorry bout the doubles,, I have my photo albums so screwed up. I'm not sure what I'm posting most of the time,, Pacasa is where they are downloaded from tyhe camera,, then I have to move them from there to the IE album,,, gotta get everything in one place ,,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The headlights are 36 ford, shape, I used a stock 36 headlight ring with the lense set in it to get the shape, of the pod to include the ring . and fit the shape of the fender,, went through alot of plaster of paris before I got it right, the grill is all hand made out of aluminum, never finished the car, it went to calgary alberta canada,, he lost the hood somewhere along the waymm but the highway dept found it ,, just bent one or the rear cornersl

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Very nice work Bill! Very subtle chop, and almost not perceptible without seeing the before pic. Is it my eyes, or did you widen the front fenders too? For some reason they look wider than stock. Maybe the cool headlights!

I watched the drags off and on over on Bangshift over the weekend. Sure were a lot of rails running!

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
I think one of the most appealing aspects of the chopped top coupe is the laid back windshield! It really makes the whole look so much nicer!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Heres a pic of the way it was when I sold it,, The back window remained the origional size , but chopping it this way gets rid of the tank turret squareness of the back of the top around the window and ( compare it to the picture that Map posted) leaned forward, windshield was chopped and laid back,, door corners rounded ,, Hood pie cut and smoothed ,,, all body seams welded and smoothed,, these don't show the finished grill or hood sides , but they were all done,, really all it needed was the interior glass and paint, minor details huh?:>}
Kinda wish I had kept it,, but can't keep em all,,,

Hey Map,,, Very nice job on the chop,,, is the car done now? or are they EVER DONE???

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice work Bill! Very subtle chop, and almost not perceptible without seeing the before pic. Is it my eyes, or did you widen the front fenders too? For some reason they look wider than stock. Maybe the cool headlights!

I watched the drags off and on over on Bangshift over the weekend. Sure were a lot of rails running!
Thanks Val,, the front fenders were not widened,, they just look huge I think because of the headlights,,
The drags were great,, LOUD N DIRTY,,, hot too,, there was alot of rails running, and really close on times too,,, did you see the 1/4 mile wheelstand that the Pure Hell altered did? that was CRAZY,, we were down by the finish line and he was bouncing on the front wheels, never once got off the throttle, kept the wheelie going even after he went across the line,, scared the s&*T outta me and I wasn't even in the drivers seat,, some REALLY good races,, always are,,,

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
I missed the Pure Hell wheelstand. Didn't watch all the races, just checked in occasionally. They are replaying it, so might have to go see if I can watch that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts