Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a long project post at nearly 50 pages. On around page 41 he begins the body and paint work. He used rollers and brushes, with a bit of rattlecan spray to cut in areas. And finally some spray can panel painting to give it an old late 60's- early 70's look.
Pretty interesting and looks much nicer than I ever thought a roller job could look!
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517931

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Wow , never would have guessed. Back in the early 90's I had a few small repairs on the top of an old truck. I had about the size of a dollar bill repair with some fillers. I cleaned out my primer fill gun from another job in the booth and thought, darn I should have masked that fender and shot some filler prime on before cleaning out my gun. Well noticing I had less then a pint in my mix can I grabbed a small paint brush, and had at it. After a few coats I felt there was plenty and let it set till I could get back to it. A few days later I wet sanded and blended the fender.
Got me thinking when a small repair comes in I think I will start brushing the prime on and that would save me having to clean my guns. My PPG rep said whoa ya can't do that you have to spray it on for the right film thickness. :( oh well I continued and upgraded to a small roller and he continue to shake his head when he would visit. A few years later PPG came out with a system that would brush on......... I should of patterned that idea ! ! Now I highly doubt that I started that trend but it shut my paint rep up real quick :D :D
Hats off to this fellow that did his Henry, it looks great. I bet if he wanted anymore UV protection it wouldn't be hard to light scuff the rattle clear and shoot an overall with a clear coat, with an acrylic enamel clear.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I was doing the original bodywork when my car was black, I rolled and brushed all the primer before sanding and coating with satin black. I figured I was going to strip it all anyway when I gave it it's real paint job, and doing it with brushes and rollers let me put it on thicker so I could wet sand and spray without all the sanding before primer.
I'm seriously going to consider the roller and brush method for both paint and primer on my next project. My neighbor with the Falcon came by the other day, and was hinting he might let it go for $500, so I may be getting closer to the next gasser build if he does finally pull the trigger!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I've been following this project since he got it. Great thread.
Me too!!!! It is amaing how decent it looks. Other than the paint being applied thicker than by spray painting it I don't see any issues.

I assume with the way a "roller" applies paint to anything in addition to the "thickess" it would leave a somewhat "orange peel" finish whicj would require quite a bit of "wet sanding" to get the finish smooth enough to be at least "decent".

·
Registered
699 Posts
I saw this on a the Trucks! show. You can roll it onto your vehicle. I was actually thinking about doing that on my Falcon. Then I can shoot the color on the car later. I know Kevin Tetz uses this product outside of the Trucks! show. His website has a lot of info on how he uses the product and why he likes using it.

http://www.clausenautobody.com/proddetail.php?prod=all-u-need

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me too!!!! It is amaing how decent it looks. Other than the paint being applied thicker than by spray painting it I don't see any issues.

I assume with the way a "roller" applies paint to anything in addition to the "thickess" it would leave a somewhat "orange peel" finish whicj would require quite a bit of "wet sanding" to get the finish smooth enough to be at least "decent".

I would guess that rolled paint will need to be thinned to avoid the orange peel effect John. If it goes on thinned and wet, it should lay down better and not get as much orange peel. When I rolled my primer I noticed quickly that I got better results with less sanding the more I thinned it. There is a point where you can thin it too much, and it wont apply well, so you have to experiment to find out how much to thin and still get good coverage, but less orange peel.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I saw this on a the Trucks! show. You can roll it onto your vehicle. I was actually thinking about doing that on my Falcon. Then I can shoot the color on the car later. I know Kevin Tetz uses this product outside of the Trucks! show. His website has a lot of info on how he uses the product and why he likes using it.

http://www.clausenautobody.com/proddetail.php?prod=all-u-need
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Products/2012/turbo2k.jpg
This sounds like it would as well, and is a whole lot cheaper.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SPI makes good stuff, and their prices are better than anybody's. All you'd need beyond that is reducer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts