Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently stopped at a local U-Pull-It yard for a look around and found a few good deals. Early 70s Lincoln Continental with a 429, a Ford Van and some Ford pickups with 460s. Also they had some mid 70s Dodge motorhomes. One with a 74,000 mile 440 and a couple others with 360s. I didn't check but there possibly could have been a couple 454s also.

The Lincoln looked to be something Grandpa left behind and the family didn't want it. The old motorhomes probably showed original miles as they didn't run them as far as they do today. The 440 turned over and could be had for $400 and they would pull it because its so buried in the chassis and they don't allow torchs and other tools needed to pull engines from a motorhome. The engines in a car or pickup could be had for $200.

These engines respond real well to the common Hot Rod mods. They worked good in a heavy work vehicle....imagine what they can do in a 3000 pound Gasser! Ad a cam, intake, carb and headers and you have a stump pulling engine!

Earlier this year I pulled a 1970 steel crank 440 from a Chrysler 300 at a different yard that nickles and dimes you for every little part and after stripping all the parts not needed I got the long block for $125.

It might vary depending on where you live but these engines are still out there if you look. It doesn't have to be a Chevy to be affordable.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Sounds great Bob,
Out here on Long Island those yards are gone as far as I know. Last time I saw a yard like that it was back in 87. I think its time to move from here.:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the old saying, Location Location Location! We definately have it better out here in the sticks when it comes to that kinda stuff. To bad it isn't still that way all over!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I haven't seen a yard like that since the middle 2000's. There is on place neat Fort Hood that had some stuff like that. My 351c 2V I have in my 69 Mach 1 came from there. One of my favorite yards in New Mexico crushed their whole yard while I was overseas for a year. That was a sad thing to come back home to.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
We don't have much in the way of older cars at our pick n pull's. Maybe early 80's are about as far back as they go here. There are plenty of big cubic inch engines available on craigslist, but not at the local yards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts