Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Changes in my 41 willys

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  rlbutcher 
#1 ·
After a less than stellar first & second time out at the local drag strip; I have made a few upgrades:
1st) A matched set of Holley 600cfms custom built for a super charged engine.
2nd) New carrier & 4:11 gears. From 2:56 to 4:11 huge difference.
3rd) Torque Convertor. From 2200 to 2800.
Should be a large difference; but for now I have to wait till next year. Happy Holidays everyone, and a Gasser New Year.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

See less See more
#7 ·
I feel your pain! after missing almost the entire season last year wrenching, a two week, bank account draining thrash, a shake down run which consisted of backing out of the shop onto a trailer, getting to the track late, going from the trailer to tech and straight to the staging lanes I launched, went to grab second and couldn't shift...an assload of money and time and I ran 9/100ths slower that the year before! Two runs later with no improvement in shifting (and the pit bike not starting argh!) I packed it back on to the trailer and was getting ready to head home when a couple of the old boys showed up and after a bit of checking we discovered the scatter shield was interfering with the clutch fork just enough that when I went to shift under load, the clutch wasn't dis engaging enough to shift...a second set of eyes in the shop would have spotted it! A bit later as I was ranting about this to a friend (also a racer) and three things were pointed out to me 1: you made it down the track in a ride you built yourself-congratulations, 2: you have had about a grand total of 5 minutes seat time in said ride (this includes driving on the trailer and to the staging lanes) and 3: that's racing, odds are pretty darned good a hand built vehicle is gonna require a bit of finessing, get used to it! Well, I simmered down pretty quick and promptly made a list of upgrades for next year: 4:56 gears, a new clutch set up and shifter and a little less psi in the tires...STOKED for next year, see ya at the track!

#8 ·
Hey congratulations, just remember this, how many professional drivers take a full season to get their car lined out. Just get ready for the next time. I had a bunch O problems years ago when i started racing my 55. GOOD LUCK next year. Oh by the way, nice truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.