Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or is almost every bodyshop have flakes working there, or owning the shop?
I got the call today to pick up my OT Camaro from the bodyshop, as the repairs were "done". So he tells me it will be ready in about 45 minutes, so I can take it home. I get there and it's sitting outside with polishing compound running down the sides, and deck lid. The interior I covered with old sheets is trashed, and the sheets are piled behind the seats. Under the hood looks like a talcum powder bomb went off, and there's primer overspray all over the windshield and one side window!
I see the cleanup guy run out and say, "I spaced it off, and didn't wash your car yet!"
So I wait while he does a quick hose off, and calls it good. I start pointing out the overspray, so the owner comes out with steel wool and cleaner and does the windows. Then I open the doors and see the windows have been down while they rubbed it out, and compound is running down both inside door panels, and the seats have puddles of dried compound on them.
After another hour of cleaning I finally decide I'll take it home and finish myself. It's gonna take me another two weeks of cleaning before it looks like it did when they got it, and that wont even touch the undercarriage!
I've had this same sort of story from most of my friends, and it seems that most shops are careless in keeping cars clean, and in such a hurry they don't take time to clean up after themselves. Total baloney.

·
Registered
699 Posts
That is terrible! It is a reason I don't want to let anyone touch my cars. I have heard too many horror stories about body shops to trust others with my stuff. Nobody takes better care of your stuff than you.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really can't understand why they would take the sheet off the seats, and the paper off the floor? I understand them being lazy, but why go to the effort of removing something I put there to help them keep things clean? Just baffles my mind.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stopped by the paint shop this morning, as I forgot in my irritated state to get the leftover touchup paint. The cleanup guy follwed me out and apologised for leaving the car a mess, and I asked him why he removed all the protection I had on seats and floors. He said he kept tripping over it when he got in and out, and I told him it couldn't have been that much trouble.
Talked to the owner again also, and he said to bring the car back by on Monday, and they would run a buffer over the whole car, plus polish the glass to get the mist of primer off that has settled and stuck there. Not sure if I'll take him up on it, or do it myself. But at least he tried to make amends for shoddy work.
One of the guys who worked on it 3 yrs. ago asked what I will be selling it for. He's going to check with his better half, and see if she'll let him buy it for $12,500.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Well at least he offered ! ! But I can understand you being a bit undecided about bringing it back. They won't detail it like it was there's.
So when we gonna see pictures of this Camaro ? Before or after the work just need to see that big block roller skate. ;)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks Steve! I'm probably gonna miss her when she's gone.
NO DOUBT!!!! That's an exceptional '71 Camaro. As long as it's been in your garage........there's no question of the condition. $12,500? Sounds like a bargin to me! I always wanted a 70/71. I had a buddy back in the early seventies that had a 71 Z/28.......and I just loved that car.

That piece of chain is a "thing of the past" too. That brings back some memories.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NO DOUBT!!!! That's an exceptional '71 Camaro. As long as it's been in your garage........there's no question of the condition. $12,500? Sounds like a bargin to me! I always wanted a 70/71. I had a buddy back in the early seventies that had a 71 Z/28.......and I just loved that car.

That piece of chain is a "thing of the past" too. That brings back some memories.
Yeah, I've always had a chain on it since the early days when I kept tearing motor mounts. That's a nice shiny new one to replace the old crustyy one! :)
I'm the 2nd owner of the '71, and have all the paper work from the original owner. Build sheet, warranty swipe card, owner's manual, purchase receipt, and nearly 40 years of other receipts. Not sure why I've kept it all, but the more I kept, the more relevant it became.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was on the hunt for a 70 split bumper last year. That along with a Nova of the 62 to 72 vintage. But ran into the Kubvan and it seemed like a fun build. But still like the 70-72 Camaro, and to add the big block is a plus.
I bought my wife a '70 Nova when we were first married. 6 cyl. two dr. with interior that smelled like an ashtray! We gutted everything and installed all cloth full power seats, and new carpet to get rid of the smell. Then I swapped out the powerglide to a TH350. It was a beautiful little car until a drunk totalled it in front of our house! I'd love to get her another, but she thinks I'd build it into a hotrod and not make it stock for her. She's probably right! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts