Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the rear end in my Falcon Gasser. It doesn't seem to match any of the usual suspects.....definitely not an 8 or 9" Ford.....not a Mopar 8-3/4. I'm pretty sure the lugs are 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern, so I don't think it's one of the old 50's-60's Chevy pumpkin style rear ends. I thought it might have even been from a Toyota truck, but haven't found any Toyo rears that match.

Anyone recognize it?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? I guess I better pull the wheels off and check the bolt pattern, and maybe see if I can scrape the pumpkin and find any "Brand" ID.

Honestly, I've just been concentrating on collecting parts and getting an engine built for it......I've had my eye out for a 9 inch in the 58" range, and I do have an 8" with 4:11's, a mini spool and Moser axles from a Maverick, but not sure the 8" would hold up to the torque of a moderately built 429 and C6 with a stall converter (I also have a toploader 4-speed I've contemplated using).

If it did turn out to be an old stovebolt rear end......how hard is it to find posi units, gears and HD parts for those?.....and are they tough enough to hold up to some hot rodding?.....or would I be saving money & time just continuing my search for a 9-inch?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I think Steve is right. I found this part id number on the front driver side from an Ebay item for sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Yup i just zoomed in on your picture of the driver side and I see a GM thru the dirt.
Mario

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
[/QUOTE]"Honestly, I've just been concentrating on collecting parts and getting an engine built for it......I've had my eye out for a 9 inch in the 58" range, and I do have an 8" with 4:11's, a mini spool and Moser axles from a Maverick, but not sure the 8" would hold up to the torque of a moderately built 429 and C6 with a stall converter (I also have a toploader 4-speed I've contemplated using).

If it did turn out to be an old stovebolt rear end......how hard is it to find posi units, gears and HD parts for those?.....and are they tough enough to hold up to some hot rodding?.....or would I be saving money & time just continuing my search for a 9-inch?[/QUOTE]"

I see a lot of center sections for sale but I don't think they will hold up to a 429 very well. My little LT-1 350 tore up the spider gears Hitting second gear with the muncie using mickey thompson indy ss in the back.
just my opinion but I think the ford 9 inch would be the way to go with a 429
mario

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, the choice is pretty obvious. Fortunately, with Gassers, you have a little lee-way on rear end width, since "tucking tire" has never really been a priority. I checked the bolt pattern,...Chevy. According to a width list, the tri-5 Chevy rears are 60" wide. Factory width for a Falcon is 58" which puts me in the 57-59 Ford, Early Bronco, 65-66 Mustang range for 9" sources, going 60" adds a few more to the list. The only 9's I have available are from a 64 Galaxie and a 66 F100, but F100s are 61.25" and Galaxies are either 61" or 61.25" wide (my "comprehensive" list says 60-64 full size is 61.25" and 64-71 full size at 61"....wonder which 64 I have? LOL)

How many out there have gone wider than stock width on their rear ends?......and by how much before it goes beyond "Gasser" style and starts looking obvious?

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
You might also consider a 8.8" Ford if the budget is tight. They're dirt cheap, and plenty available. Widths run between 58"-59.5" depending on the year, or what they come out of. Later 8.8", or those from 4x4 vehicles have 31 spline axles, so they're stronger than the early 28 spline rears. Explorer 8.8" have offset pinions, so if you wanted a wider rear they can be built with long tube and long side axle to make a 61" rear from a 58", and not break the bank. The opposite can be done if it needs to be narrowed and using a short side tube it gives a 55" rear axle.
The 8.8" Ford is a very close copy of the 12 bolt GM, except for it's larger 31 spline shafts vs. 30 spline for the 12 bolt GM. A lot of really high HP Mustangs use the 8.8" Ford and they don't break them with 400-500 hp engines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am on a budget, but I'm also selling off several projects cars and parts to try and thin my automotive "to-do" list, so I think I'll be able to afford to put together a decent 9" set up by shopping around. Just in the last few days, I've found a couple of 9's on C's-List for $200-$300, complete drum-to-drum, one is from a Fairlane, and another from a 70 Mustang (both 59.25") and might also have a line on an early Bronco 9" for $350, which would be perfect, since it's the same 58" width as a factory Falcon rear, and is a 31 spline. If also found several used posi pumpkins complete with gears in the $150-$300 range. I've also heard a local race car builder/driver may have a complete 31 spline pumpkin with locker and 4:20 or 4:30 gear ratio for $200, but I have to wait 'til he gets back from vacation to see if he still has it. With the Bronc rear, I could probably find a decent set of old school mags with a 5 on 5.5 pattern until I can upgrade to some new HD axles drilled to the standard 4.5 pattern.

Of course, if I really get antsy to get it on the road, I'll just stick the Maverick 8" under it and drop in a warmed-over lopey small block and the toploader, run some street tires and just take it easy on hard launches and burnouts, and take my time putting together a monster 429, C-6 and 9" for the final mutation.

Thanks for all the help and advice, guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts