Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys...usual type question...350 4 bolt, hump heads, weiand g intake, edlebrock 750, headers, 3:90, 700r4...ideas on street/strip cam ?...planning on hitting the track more than car shows...I was thinking of hydraulic flat tappet design .any help appreciated...and OF COURSE...Frankenstein IS on a budget! ( I know...I know...no such thing as cheap performance)

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
If you're on a budget, then flat tappet is definitely the way to go. And Summit is probably your best choice for economical cams. All Summit cams are made by Crane, and most of them are common Crane grinds found in their catalog. They are priced in the $100-$135 range for cam and lifters, so very affordable.
The camel hump heads wont likely have clearance on the springs to go extremely high lift, and I wouldn't go too radical without a high stall converter. Do you know your compression on the 350?
My 327 is 9.5:1 compression, and I went with an Isky 270 Mega Cam, but Summit has a very similar cam for less money. #SUM-K00172, 274/274 duration at .450/.450 lift, and 106 LSA.
If you've got a little higher stall and enough CR you could go to the SUM-K00072 that is .284/.284 and .480/.480 lift, with 112 LSA. It will probably give you higher rpm HP, but not as much lowend power. Shouldn't be a problem with the 700R4's low first gear and your 3.90 rear gear.
These are both $120 ea. for cam/lifters.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info..not sure of compression ratio..( will find out) and I think the stall is 2100 ?...not real sure on that. I cross referenced the i.d. on the converter and hit the net. I also contacted "reman"? industries..( tranny guys)...they said a 700 r4 stock stall is like 1800 ?.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
If there's any doubt I'd probably error towards the smaller 274/274 cam. It is still a very nice cam, but will reach peak HP about 5500 rpm's. I've run it in fairly stock 350's and it really was a nice cam, and sounds good too!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with Vall,
I've run a very similar cam in both a 2700lb 302" stick shift Mustang,and a 3400lb 355" automatic Camaro,and both sounded great,and were very snappy and responsive,with lots of grunt where you can use it around town and in practical acceleration situations.
Maybe do a little porting work to those heads and get the best of both worlds?:)

Scott

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
new program

been getting alot of info (my head is spinning), on cam/duration/stall/gearing...new to this and a bit overwhelmed. SO..that being said..there has been an adjustment to the parts I want to use on my truck. The gearing I have is not a 3:90...I have 3:73, I have a edlebrock R.P.M. performer,headers 186 heads..isky springs good for .550 lift...choice of edlebrock 750 cfm ..or, demon ( like new..unsure of size..no #s..will call to see) and have a new Lunati bracket master .290 duration, .460 lift...Been considering a "VOOdOO..as I mentioned in my intro to this site..my intention is to be able to hit the strip on a regular basis..yet be able to drive there ,,guess I'm looking fot the best of both worlds ( street/strip) and want a little something different than the usual comp cam..been looking into Schneider as well. Heads are stock (64c.c.?).flat top double releif pistons...so what you guys think?..any info or build experience around these parts would be appreciated...thanks...help me sort this out ...almost forgot...the 700r4 has been shelved and a rebuilt 350 with a shift kit has replaced it...no converter as yet,,,waiting on the cam..

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
.290 duration sounds fairly large, but that depends on the LSA. I'd like to know that before I could really comment. A wider 110-112 LSA wont be bad, but if it's less, that .290 duration will really be a battle with the TH350, even with 3.73 gears. Some 186 heads have 1.92 intake valves, while others are 2.02" valves. The 2.02" came unshrouded, and if yours are unshrouded they flow decent. Some with 1.94" valves were converted to 2.02", but not unshrouded like the factory, and they don't flow as well.
That 750 is a huge carb, and I'd be inclined to hope the Demon is a 600 or 650 cfm, as it would work much better with an automatic. Hopefully your tires wont be too tall, and cancel out the 3.73 ratio. A 26" would be good, and a 28" tire would be pushing it with the 3.73 gears and a TH350 first gear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
more info

heads have the 1.9 valves..at the shop now. Maybe replacing the studs and checking for hardened seats. The voodoo has a .268 duration and I believe a .504 lift. LUNATI SAYS A 2400 STALL and a 700 carb and 3:73 gears go o.k. with the stall. Sounded like a good match all the way around...but wanted to check in with you guys before final committment (purchasing).was going to run 26" tires

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
The Voodoo cam sounds better. That's a lot of lift, and definitely would want at least the 2400 stall converter. The 268 duration sounds much better than the 290. The 26" tires will help the launch, although if the car sees much freeway driving it will be wound up around 3000 rpm at 60 mph.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
more info

ok.. the voodoo has a 110/ 106 separation.. another cam i'm looking at has a 284/294 duration with .480 lift,in&out with a 110 separation...tech guy says it's the bomb for my needs..says i can get down the highway and the strip.. so the "winding out at 3k r.p.m. with the voodoo, is that the cam, (lift?) tire size or both? chomping at the bit to move forward with this thing..lol

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
The 110 LSA sounds much better for a street strip car, and a .480 lift should work well. I like about 270-275 degrees duration with an automatic, as it takes less stall, but the 284/294 duration wont be a problem if you don't mind a higher stall converter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and yes..it gets better...appears the heads (cast #186)..do not have hardened seats..suggested that I will not be able to run down the track much without trouble...I have a set of 062 vortecs that I could trade for the 186 set. BUT...will need springs, intake,rocker arms,valve covers,valves,,,so much for the budget build.....What do you guys think?...can I work with valves and guides that will work with unleaded?...fuel additive?..or resign myself that these heads are for a cruise night special? thanks

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I'd just have the seats changed, and SS valves put in, if you want those heads to use. I know the budget takes a hit, but they wont last long with unleaded gas, and you'll be tearing it down again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, that was my first instinct. I need the builder to committ to price and fine tune my#s on the vortec situation to make final decisions...gotta say ,the extra 30/40 h.p. from the vortecs sound pretty good.. as of now it appears to be $10-15.00, per pony. Hmmm, decisions...decisions....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been looking at the same setup as I am building a 350 with a set of vortec heads. I'm looking at a Howards cam, it has a range of 1800 to 5000 rpm . I stuck with a smaller lift and duration because they don't seem to breathe quite as well above 500 lift. I believe it is around 470 lift they rate it as a healty street and mild bracket. I am going to have a 700r4 with 3.73 rearend

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Remember that Vortec heads wont allow more than about .450" lift without re-cutting the spring seats on the heads! They will have spring bind when higher lift cams are used with unmodified heads.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
heads

so..finally decided on going with the vortec. ..062 casting, ported and polished, big valves and springs already set up for big lift...my 186"s and a couple bucks...guy likes to build period correct stuff,,,and I don't have the $$$ to make my old ones work. Win,win all the way around. Also throwing in an intake...Been reading reviews on the brand...sounds like I may need to do a little cleaning up in the ports...BUT, the price is right...which brings me back to decision on cam design...think I'll go with the .480 lift..BTW..other than increasing the valve lift, any other benefits to running 1.6 rocker arms?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
,more lift, more gas, more air, more hp, more torque, more fun. :)

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Unless you want to mess with rocker arm geometry, and special length pushrods, I'd stick with stock 1.5 length rockers. When you swap to 1.6 you'll need to check the pattern on the valve stems, and get an adjustable length pushrod, then swap out springs for soft springs to check length. Once length is known, send the pushrod to a company who makes them, and they can send you a set. Then swap all the springs back to the original springs, and you're ready to go. I've been through it before, and it's not a bad scenario if you have dual springs, as you can simply remove the inner and do the pushrod check. But it's time consuming, a bit spendy, and a bit of a pain. To me it's not worth the work for the slight increase in lift. I'd rather just get a bigger cam if I want more lift.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts