Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here some pics of my gasser that I have been working on for the last couple years. I like the 60's gassers and the early broncos , so this is what I have come up with . I think its bad ass.:cool: SD530198.jpg SD530189.jpg SD530158.jpg SD530176.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
running the 289 with single carb . I've been looking for the right 2x4 intake that fits the era of the 60's. yes I made the header out of spear tubes from other header kits I put together . running 4speed with a spool and the 30in tall pie crust on stock 15x7 rims. I will send more pics when I get more work done.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Looks great! I seem to remember a Bronco that had a stretched frontend, and was a funny car style back in the late 60's or early 70's?

edit-Found it! Bronco Buster:

It was owned by Doug Nash, and had a short lived run. NHRA banned truck based funny cars for safety reasons. This was in 1967.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Doug had a lot of innovative additions to his Bronco that were new that year! Too bad NHRA threw a wrench in it by banning his truck. It really was just a body, and the chassis wasn't any different than any other funny car chassis of that era. A little shorter than some others, but not much else.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks ,I will get more pics up, and the press works great. we just pickup a lathe from 1947 .it's old but works great for what we need.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
thanks ,I will get more pics up, and the press works great. we just pickup a lathe from 1947 .it's old but works great for what we need.
Those older American built lathes are better than almost anything built today! They're also repairable forever, and never really wear out! Nice old mechanical relays, and no computers or electronics to fail. Even older than yours are still fantastic equipment!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
some more pics of gasser

found some more pics of my bronco from earlier this year. the body is 90% done and will be ready for paint .still looking for the right style 2x4 intake for my 289. cant wait to see more color and some panel painting like they did in the cool times.:cool: SD530144.jpg SD530167.jpg SD530159.jpg SD530176.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks , with the slicks on back the rear sits up some . I don't have any pics right now with the slicks on . their on my uncles 66 fairlane that looks kool.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Just a note here. Back in the 60's-70's we used to run those tall shackles like you have up front. In order to eliminate side deflection we welded bar stock across the front to tie the shackles together, which kept them from tilting under side loads. It makes the car feel much more stable too. Just used a piece of 1"-1.25"x 3/8" flat bar stock across them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have polished stainless steel for front that I will need to weld up and redo then . thank you for the info. most of the steering parts are chromed or polished. I couldn't find long enough shocks that were chromed thou.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
No problem, just mentioned it as it crossed my mind when I saw the long shackles. Some guys back then also added a third bolt between the spring bolt and the frame mount. They put a bushing between the shackles for the bolt to clamp on and keep the two shackles aligned. Kinda like what the 4x4 guys use on their rigs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts