Gasser HotRod Forums banner
541 - 556 of 556 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Thanks for posting about the show at the Lions museum. I hadn't heard about it. I've been wanting to go but haven't made it; now it'll be double fun.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 ·
Thanks for posting about the show at the Lions museum. I hadn't heard about it. I've been wanting to go but haven't made it; now it'll be double fun.
It'll be my first time there, too. Long overdue!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #545 ·
Well, this weekend was a success. I drove the '55 down to San Diego and attended the Good Guys show in Del MAr. FITech was kind enough to invite me down, hook me up with tix and let me park in their spot. The '55 was a crowd pleaser and drew folks in all day. Then I got in and drove it home too. Traffic was a bit rougher on the way home but other than consuming some fuel, it worked well. I didn't take many pics of my car there, but I know others did and pics are starting to show up online.

I did discover a drip of gear oil in my garage the next day, but it turns out it came up through the overflow vent/ hose and dribbled into the trunk and leaked back down. I may look into a catch can for it, but I also don't know how much gear oil was added as it had the original fluid from the axle builder.

My car is 500 miles now so I'll be changing that soon- after the Hot Wheels convention this upcoming weekend. I did get the engine oil changed, and will address the trans and diff after I get back.

On a side note, I don't think I have a drain on my 9" housing, and I do not wish to take the wheels/ brakes/ axles and carrier out just to drain fluid. I've seen some folks drill and tap a thread for either a plug or pipe thread fitting. suggestions welcomed for that. If I did this I'd do it to the side to not interfere with jacking or be the low hanging piece dead center under the pumpkin.

Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Car

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
This is cool- the folks from Gassers West used a pic of my car to advertise their upcoming event over at the Lions Automobilia Foundation Museum. I'm looking forward to going to this

View attachment 107614
Brendon,
I called the museum to find out about parking for vehicles with trailers. I was told that the museum wasn't opening their mian parking lot because this wasn't a museum event. I had to go up to that general area yesterday so I thought I'd check it out. It's in an industrial building that's at the intersection of Del Amo and Santa FE about 4 blocks west of the Long Beach freeway. There is absolutely no street parking in either direction on Del Amo and Santa Fe is marked "no parking" all the way south of Del Amo with very limited street parking to the North. I googled Gassers West and there is no email address nor a phone number, just a facebook connection. I'm not on any social media platforms so I can't contact them. Is there any chance you can and get some information about parking and post it here, thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
Brendon,
I called the museum to find out about parking for vehicles with trailers. I was told that the museum wasn't opening their mian parking lot because this wasn't a museum event. I had to go up to that general area yesterday so I thought I'd check it out. It's in an industrial building that's at the intersection of Del Amo and Santa FE about 4 blocks west of the Long Beach freeway. There is absolutely no street parking in either direction on Del Amo and Santa Fe is marked "no parking" all the way south of Del Amo with very limited street parking to the North. I googled Gassers West and there is no email address nor a phone number, just a facebook connection. I'm not on any social media platforms so I can't contact them. Is there any chance you can and get some information about parking and post it here, thanks.
I will look into that

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #548 ·
probably overdue for an update.

We had our Hot Wheels collectors convention the other week, and I bought my '55 there. Lots of collectors were all over it, I'm sure there are pics online if anyone is into collecting Hot wheels I'm sure you'll see it. I als omade a small run of T shirts, too. that was fun. it went over much better than I thought it would, too. We basically sold out of them in 2 days. Also, at the convention they have an auction to raise $$ for charity- Make a Wish Foundation, and I donated the cut out of my hood and would sketch on it for the winner- it went for $1,100 or so. amazing.

This past weekend I drove back down to San Diego and had my car on display at the San Diego Automotive Museum at their fund raising gala event. Don Prudhomme was there, too, and I'm kicking myself for not getting the chance to say hi and show him my car. I think he took off right after he made his speech, which I can understand, too.

And, last night I pulled my front axle off and sent it out to get straightened, so my car will be down for a couple of weeks. I figured this will be a good time as I have to leave early for SEMA to load my Firebird there which means I'll be missing the Lions event now anyway, so I may as well get it done.

Hair Joint Jeans Outerwear Hairstyle
Art Font Symbol Wood Pattern
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky
Sky Tire Wheel Car Building
Sky World Entertainment Red Font
Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Grille
Vehicle Tire Grille Car Wheel

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 · (Edited)
Wow, another long overdue for an update.

1- got my front axle back and reinstalled it. During this time I also built some stronger drag links and tried thicker shims (4º), but was experiencing death wobble with this so I put the 3º shimbs back in. I also got it aligned again and no more death wobble. Car looks better with vertical wheels in front, ha ha
2- I got my car tuned on Saturday. Drivability is so much better now. I was experiencing a slight bog on part throttle acceleration and that's gone now. They also ran a few pulls and a video is here: Dyno pull The #'s in the video vary slightly from my attachment, so I'm not sure what to definitively say my engine makes, so I'll just go with the video as the HP is slightly higher :D
3- After this I met up at the March Air Force museum and my photographer for an afternoon photoshoot of my car. I took a few pics with my iphone, but they are crap compared to what he shot (as to be expected with a good photographer) I can't share his pics just yet, but once I will you'll see exactly what I mean.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Product Font Audio equipment Technology Screenshot
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Aircraft
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Aircraft
Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Nice Brandon, maybe now you can drive it and enjoy it with every thing ironed out....love the B-17 for a back ground in the pictrures

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Wow, another long overdue for an update.

1- got my front axle back and reinstalled it. During this time I also built some stronger drag links and tried thicker shims (4º), but was experiencing death wobble with this so I put the 3º shimbs back in. I also got it aligned again and no more death wobble. Car looks better with vertical wheels in front, ha ha
2- I got my car tuned on Saturday. Drivability is so much better now. I was experiencing a slight bog on part throttle acceleration and that's gone now. They also ran a few pulls and a video is here: Dyno pull The #'s in the video vary slightly from my attachment, so I'm not sure what to definitively say my engine makes, so I'll just go with the video as the HP is slightly higher :D
3- After this I met up at the March Air Force museum and my photographer for an afternoon photoshoot of my car. I took a few pics with my iphone, but they are crap compared to what he shot (as to be expected with a good photographer) I can't share his pics just yet, but once I will you'll see exactly what I mean.

View attachment 107929 View attachment 107930 View attachment 107931 View attachment 107932 View attachment 107933 View attachment 107934 View attachment 107935
It must be these old eyes because I can't make out any of the readings from the photo of the dyno screen.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
It must be these old eyes because I can't make out any of the readings from the photo of the dyno screen.
Steve I don't know about you but my mom always said playing with your self will make you go blind...guess you have to own one to enjoy one.............lol, and no Steve that is not why I only have one eye.................it is so I can have an ugly woman walking with me on my right and not feel ashamed ...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Damn!! All this time I thought it was because you tried a long stroke on a short stroke rod and put your eye out with your thumb. I think it's time you started using the avatar I had Mario customize just for you. ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO:

Bone Badge Skull Font Emblem

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Great job Brendon. I missed these posts. Congrats and I can tell you really enjoy the attention. Well deserved. 544 hp at the rear wheels not too shabby at all. I think we all would face some issues after the build. I know I did. But feels good to drive it and see people gather around it at the shows. Again great job.

Reactions: Tuske427
541 - 556 of 556 Posts