Gasser HotRod Forums banner
441 - 460 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am dreading putting in a new windshield.....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
Flattering to have people rip off the design so quickly. Any idea who these people are doing this?
Always wondered why so many Hot Wheels gasser theme cars have big fat front tires/wheels? Doesn't Hot Wheels make any narrower wheels and tires for these?
Yeah, I am flattered by it. Not sure who made the decals on ebay, but several folks that follow me on IG have asked me about making one, or have tagged me to those that have. To me, it's all good. I'll take the attention. As for skinnier wheels, yes, we do for both mainline and premium. The mainline version can be seen on this other casting I worked on- the '64 Nova gasser wagon (graphics team assigns the wheels) and the '55 typically gets skinner front wheels in the premium lines when they use the rubber tires.

64-nova-gasser-hwdt-header.jpg

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
I am dreading putting in a new windshield.....
after watching them, I might be willing to help someone now that I have an idea and saw how they worked it to get it to fit, but no way would I attempt it on my own.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Vall,
You're right about the Hot Wheels cars and the tires. There's a newer company in the 1/64 scale gasser now, M2. I think these cars put the Hot Wheels cars to shame. I haven't purchased any because I still like the 1/24 and 1/18 scale cars.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Vall,
You're right about the Hot Wheels cars and the tires. There's a newer company in the 1/64 scale gasser now, M2. I think these cars put the Hot Wheels cars to shame. I haven't purchased any because I still like the 1/24 and 1/18 scale cars.
That 55 looks cool until you enlarge it and see how horrible the door to body gaps are!

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
after watching them, I might be willing to help someone now that I have an idea and saw how they worked it to get it to fit, but no way would I attempt it on my own.
I put all my own glass in myself simply because the estimates for glass work, and the attitudes I got from various installers forced me to. I've rarely dealt with such a bunch of overpriced prima donnas in my life!
Fortunately my glass was all flat, and except for the windshield glass it all went in easily. And the windshield was only a problem because the seller made it too large for the openings.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think there is somebody, Hot Wheels?, making some of the southeast gasser cars is what I heard. Don't know if it's true or not. Car is coming along great!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
I think there is somebody, Hot Wheels?, making some of the southeast gasser cars is what I heard. Don't know if it's true or not. Car is coming along great!
It is us, Hot Wheels. I'm proud to say helped arrange it, too. So far we've produced the '64 Nova gasser wagon (3 colors) and we have a few premium items that will be out soon, if not already. I have plans for more, too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
more updates this week/ weekend. My tires arrived last week, so I had them mounted and mocked them up to see if they fit, which they do. Also did more wiring this weekend, and started to install the FITech units, which, had I understood the instructions better could have saved me some work as now I need to undo some of my wiring and change it to allow the FITech unit to control the fans and a couple other things. Oh well, live and learn. Also cut my hood open and mocked up my stacks. I'm on the fence for having them anodized gold. If I don't do that I need to at least scuff them up so they are not so shiny. looks kinda out of place on the otherwise aged theme. Also installed the taillights, and I have weatherpack connectors on the inside to make them easy to remove later on. More to do

IMG_E9258lr.jpg
IMG_E9266lr.jpg
IMG_E9271lr.jpg
IMG_E9268lr.jpg
IMG_E9269lr.jpg
IMG_E9270lr.jpg
NFTQ5138lr.jpg

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Looking great! I think I'd just use a Scitchbrite pad and dull the stacks up so they look older. The dull brushed aluminum would go well with other pieces that are similar colored.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·
another weekend, and a bit more progress. I believe I have the wiring finished up, but won't know for sure until I get a battery. Also worked on some of the interior installation, made a heat deflector for my coil with anodized aluminum, attempted to hook up my hydroboost but realized I have two issues- 1- an interference with the plumbing and my valve cover, and 2- the fittings do not fit my power steering pump. We have an Earl's store in LA that makes custom hoses so I'll need to me a trip there and see if they can help, and while I'm there see if they have a proper adaptor fitting for my power steering pump. Those areas are at an impasse until I get them resolved, and I have a bunch of stuff for work this week so I do not know if I'll have the chance to go there or not.
HRGR3212lr.jpg
IMG_E9309lr.jpg
IMG_E9311lr.jpg
LSIV3017lr.jpg
IMG_E9310lr.jpg
IMG_E9312lr.jpg
IMG_E9313lr.jpg

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Looks like removing the fitting from the hydroboost and replacing it with a hard 90 fitting might get the clearance you need. Then a straight hose, or 45 degree hose fitting should work.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
Looks like removing the fitting from the hydroboost and replacing it with a hard 90 fitting might get the clearance you need. Then a straight hose, or 45 degree hose fitting should work.
I will try a banjo fitting that I've ordered next. the folks at Earls were not able to help with this one. Next will be to swap the valve covers. I'm not sure how good it would look to cut into them to make clearance.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Isn't the threaded hole in the hydroboost a generic pipe thread? And then the flare fitting threaded into that, with the tube 90 into that? If so a close 90 into the hydroboost would get the clearance and also change direction sooner? Just thinking out loud.
Wonder also if the hydroboost can be clocked 90 degrees and still work? I believe they can be turned 180 degrees?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 ·
Isn't the threaded hole in the hydroboost a generic pipe thread? And then the flare fitting threaded into that, with the tube 90 into that? If so a close 90 into the hydroboost would get the clearance and also change direction sooner? Just thinking out loud.
Wonder also if the hydroboost can be clocked 90 degrees and still work? I believe they can be turned 180 degrees?

yeah, they can be rotated 180º but the gold part in the pics would interfere with the valve cover even more so than my current interference. The threaded part appears to be a 16mm x 1.5mm with the o ring inside- pic below. If there's a close 90º fitting that would work, I'm all ears as I'm not aware of one, other than a banjo fitting which also may be too thick. I'll have to look into a pipe thread piece too, but I'd need to tap the hydroboost housing unit itself, and make sure if has enough flow to allow my system to operate.

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 · (Edited)
another option might be to weld a fitting together. I'd hate to cut into the valve covers.

I also found this Edelmann part, which may have promise.

61mccN8bcYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last resort option is to swap the valve covers for something more radiused or smaller. This is an option, but it lacks the vintage look that my M/T covers has.

ems-ms108-02p_qf_xl.jpg

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Guess there's always manual steering if nothing else. But that would surely be a huge change at this point! I wouldn't have an issue relief cutting the side of the valve cover, and having an insert tig welded in for clearance. If it was the fins on top I'd be hesitant as that would show and not be pretty. Side seems less intrusive, and wont need much since the engine torqs away from the fitting.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Make adapter plates to rotate the unit to the desired index??? one on each end to keep the master indexed correctly...??

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to slot or elongate the holes on each end of the hydro boost to allow it to shift just enough to clear, but still level the master?

441 - 460 of 508 Posts