Gasser HotRods banner

381 - 400 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Read up on that coating sounds like it is tough as nails..I like the sand blasted look too...nice work on the gauge panel too

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
got my latest edition of Die Cast magazine and our member Brendon Vetuskey, and his 55 gasser build, are highlighted in the article about the success and popularity of the Hot wheels 55 gasser series. The article says that it was designed by Brendon for the first release in 2013. It's no wonder his 55 gasser build is so meticulous!!! So Brendon are you going with a Hot Wheels style paint job? I like the Tuske Gasser, Candy Striper and Gas-hole paint jobs myself. Congratulations on the big shout out to you in the article.
I don't collect the Hot Wheels cars myself, mine are 1/18 & 1/24, but I think it's cool that they actually had a guy who likes and knows gassers design theirs. It's probably the main reason they're so popular.
Ha, thanks! Yeah, that's one of many castings I've worked on, and one of four gassers that I've worked on, too. The original release is the Tuske gasser in primer gray- a nod to the 2LBT '55. Although it's nothing more than a blob of plastic there is a dash mounted tach on it, too. At work I design the castings themselves, and our graphics team does all the cool graphics.

It's funny you mention the gas-hole. that is a graphic I did and was made by a customizer, Chris Walker, who goes by Nightstalker customs. We did that as a fundraiser for charity, and the theme probably wouldn't have been able to be made at work.

And yes, my '55 will have a Hot Wheels style paint job. It's still with the painter, though, which is why I've all but disappeared from here. nothing to post, ha ha.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
OK, well there probably are a few things I could update... I drilled out the rear bumper, and have been storing it outside so it could oxidize more. I quick drew it on the computer to plot out where I'd be drilling holes, experimented with 6 or 7 holes between the bumper horns, ended up going with 6, and made a mess in my garage drilling it out. I am happy with the end result, but went through 2 circular hole saws and a at least that many pilot drills. they kept snapping on me. no fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
and I do have one current pic of the painting in progress from the weekend- the roof is painted.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
I like the holes! They add a nice touch to the bumper.
A little note for future holesawing, after decades of doing it in the electrical trade. Once you lay out your pattern, drill all the pilot holes using a 1/4" bit first. Then remove the bit from the holesaw and either reverse it so the cutting end is inside the holesaw, or use a piece of drill rod in place of the pilot bit.
By using the solid shaft in your pilot hole there's far less chance you'll snap the shaft as it wont let the holesaw blade walk at all, and you wont go through the bumper with the pilot bit, and hit the saw blade on the bumper and snap it. Of course lots of cutting fluid and slower speeds on the blade will also help, and make blades last longer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
I like the holes! They add a nice touch to the bumper.
A little note for future holesawing, after decades of doing it in the electrical trade. Once you lay out your pattern, drill all the pilot holes using a 1/4" bit first. Then remove the bit from the holesaw and either reverse it so the cutting end is inside the holesaw, or use a piece of drill rod in place of the pilot bit.
By using the solid shaft in your pilot hole there's far less chance you'll snap the shaft as it wont let the holesaw blade walk at all, and you wont go through the bumper with the pilot bit, and hit the saw blade on the bumper and snap it. Of course lots of cutting fluid and slower speeds on the blade will also help, and make blades last longer.
That's a great tip, thank you!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
So.. this is the plan for my car- a vintage weathered 60's era looking survivor. Faux patina, for sure, but not cheesy faux. If it's done right it'll look decent, and will match my legit weathered chrome. I rendered this up in photoshop, and it's still TBD whether the hood will be opened up with the engine sticking through, it all comes down to how the engine fits. I would love some stacks or something sticking through. TBD. You folks are the first ones I'm publicly showing this to, so I hope you like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I like the chrome -mate green...I was going to do my hood on my truck that color but true chrome-mate is banned in most states, except in Gallon cans for aircraft use and the look a like is really not a close match too the aircraft stuff...I like the look...I find most of the patina paint jobs look good till they put the wrong clear coat on...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
I like the chrome -mate green...I was going to do my hood on my truck that color but true chrome-mate is banned in most states, except in Gallon cans for aircraft use and the look a like is really not a close match too the aircraft stuff...I like the look...I find most of the patina paint jobs look good till they put the wrong clear coat on...
Thanks! I don't believe we'll be using a clear coat on this, at least it hadn't been discussed with me, ha ha

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
This weekend's mini project was to redo my wheel rims. I wanted something more permanent than the graphite coating which was applied, so I had them powder coated in a satin graphite (flattest color available) last week and then used scotchbrite them to knock down the sheen on Friday, but that didn't work as intended as the rims were original cast finish, so the high spots were wearing through while the low spots were still shiny. Plan B- I found some Rustoleum chalked flat gray paint. I painted the rims with this and am happy with the results. I just hope this stuff holds up.

The middle pic shows a test piece of the Rustoleum next to the original powder coated after using the scotch brite pad.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
I agree! They look much nicer after you painted them with the Rustoleum paint. The color and sheen were both not quite right before the painting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
I agree! They look much nicer after you painted them with the Rustoleum paint. The color and sheen were both not quite right before the painting.
Thank you! And they still have the base layer of powder coating for durability, too. Once they get dirty/ dusty they should look even better.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Don't worry they will look distressed in a hurry with out a Top coat...Like the look painted much better than the powder coat...would have waited to paint the lip area till the tires where mounted

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Happy 2021, everyone! Still alive, (though I did get my spine fused last week, so now I'm on the mend from that) and I have some updates received from my painter today. It's good to see some color on here!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Hey Brendon sorry to hear you needed your back fused. Hope you feel better soon. Car looks great. Fresh paint is always exciting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Hey Brendon sorry to hear you needed your back fused. Hope you feel better soon. Car looks great. Fresh paint is always exciting.
Thanks, Mario! I'm becoming like my cars- I now have a carbon fiber cage and 4x titanium allow screws inside, ha ha. Despite me only being home for a week from the hospital, the are in my back they repaired feels great. much better than before. I just need to take it easy so the bones can fuse together and my core abs can heal.

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
Looks great! I thought it was going to be more of a flat finish, and I like the sheen a lot better than what I imagined it would be.

381 - 400 of 403 Posts