Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I figured I'd start this thread to get some concensus and input from others on how you battle the whole brake system install and parts purchase. It always seems to be a pain in the backside to me, and usually takes the better part of a day to get all the parts sorted!
Just finished spending the day with my neighbor's '35 Plymouth gasser project on the brakes. We started by drawing a diagram of the chassis, and inserting measurements for the various line lengths from rear wheels to hose drop, then rear to master, and each front wheel to master. Then made up a list of all the hose drop lengths, and finally tossed the prop valve into the mess.
Once all the line measurements were figured, then it was time to deal with fittings! Of course most are std. 3/16" fittings, but then the prop valve usually has 3 different sizes (what's with that?) so when making up lines I need to make different sizes on each end, or adapters on one end. Then the master to prop valve lines, and whatever fittings to adapt the two sizes.
I usually go to the local place that specializes in hydraulic lines and take along my master, prop valve, a wheel cylinder or fitting to fit it, and a front caliper or wheel cylinder. So here I show up with a box of parts, and my diagram, and they start making up all the pieces so I can go home and spend another day or two bending and flaring lines and assembling.
I don't have a problem making up lines, but the 4-5 hrs of fooling with the parts order, and picking up the brake parts just drives me crazy. Mainly because it's time away from the build, but also because it's usually a series of frustrations while they hunt and test fit pieces to figure out what I need. And if they or I miss anything it's another trip, which never makes me any happier.
I sure hope you guys have better luck assembling a brake system than I do.

·
Registered
922 Posts
For me, it's like every other plumbing job. I buy everything I could possibly need and still come up short on some stuff and have all kinds of leftovers of other stuff.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wow! That's still on my "to do" list. I know very little about a brake system other than the brake pedal.......apply pressure and we're suppose to stop! :D :D :D

And along those same lines, no pun intended, or maybe so…… I've got to figure out a hydraulic clutch. Geeezz! :D :D

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Ya know its all about the mood........ If I'm in I do it if I'm not I sub it out to a friend of mine. But I can say I have always had piles of parts in stock and I never have the parts I need with out ordering or hitting the parts store, and when that happens I go to a friends speed shop and have at it with out some sales guy who knows less then I do making my job even tuffer.... ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Same here, always running back to Oreilly's for more fittings etc. My brake system is all complete except finishing the lines at the rear end. I did it all myself in a couple of days. Not my favorite thing to do but i gotter dun. I bought my brake line in a 25ft coil and unrolled it between ea fitting leaving a couple inches for tweaking. Seemed to work good this way. Got a line lock on mine also, works good for burnouts at the track or just showing off.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me, it's like every other plumbing job. I buy everything I could possibly need and still come up short on some stuff and have all kinds of leftovers of other stuff.
Unlike most plumbing jobs, the brake systems seem to have so much variety and less standardization than general fuel line plumbing, or other plumbing. I'm always amazed at all the various sizes, thread count, flares, and such used. Then throw in some suppliers that use metric, or standard, and it gets even worse.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! That's still on my "to do" list. I know very little about a brake system other than the brake pedal.......apply pressure and we're suppose to stop! :D :D :D

And along those same lines, no pun intended, or maybe so…… I've got to figure out a hydraulic clutch. Geeezz! :D :D
There's some pretty nice brake/clutch combos on the market from new suppiers that are not too spendy, and also some used pieces that adapt to our gassers that are dirt cheap alternatives. I don't have a clutch, but when looking for a donor brake pedal and master I found that the 90's Subaru Legacy were a really adaptable assembly. I used one from a Legacy automatic, but also looked at some with sticks that were equally easy to fit. The whole masters, and pedal assembly is compact, and made to attach to a flat firewall, unlike most OEM that have all sorts of weird bends in the firewall, and wont fit a flat firewall easily. My local U Pullit was around $55 for the whole assembly for brake/clutch, pedals, masters, etc.
My neighbor got an under floor Wilwood system for hydraulic brake/clutch from a supplier on Ebay, and it's really a nice unit for under $300. But it doesn't come with the clutch slave cylinder, so you'll need a bellhousing and slave to do that, or a hydraulic throwout bearing.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I am sooo happy to see that I am not the only one that has issues with brake fitting sizes, thread pitch etc. I feel your pain. The poor parts guy at NAPA about threw me outa the store for dragging in all the stuff that Vall took to the brake supply house. Wish we had something like that closer. Of course the look on the parts guys face was probably worth all the effort that it caused me.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think they like it better if we don't bring in all the pieces, because then they can just wave you off and say they can't do anything without the pieces! we were back today getting more of the special order stuff, but ended up not buying it all. The auto parts store he went to had Russel, and they think their stuff is gold plated! How about $30 each for SS braided hoses! Oil Filter Services charges half or less for the same, and they're clear plastic coated too!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
There's some pretty nice brake/clutch combos on the market from new suppiers that are not too spendy, and also some used pieces that adapt to our gassers that are dirt cheap alternatives. I don't have a clutch, but when looking for a donor brake pedal and master I found that the 90's Subaru Legacy were a really adaptable assembly. I used one from a Legacy automatic, but also looked at some with sticks that were equally easy to fit. The whole masters, and pedal assembly is compact, and made to attach to a flat firewall, unlike most OEM that have all sorts of weird bends in the firewall, and wont fit a flat firewall easily. My local U Pullit was around $55 for the whole assembly for brake/clutch, pedals, masters, etc.
My neighbor got an under floor Wilwood system for hydraulic brake/clutch from a supplier on Ebay, and it's really a nice unit for under $300. But it doesn't come with the clutch slave cylinder, so you'll need a bellhousing and slave to do that, or a hydraulic throwout bearing.
Thanks, Vall for that information. I'm not sure I'll have firewall space, although that's the route I'd prefer, and I'd rather have the pedals drop down rather than under the floor. So.....I've been doing considerable research and have pretty much decided to look closer at the Southwest Speed set-up with a hydraulic throwout bearing. But man..........it gets pretty spendy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250225409684?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290783853162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'll deffinatly be looking at the local salvage yard more before clicking the "Buy Now." :D :D :D

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is an issue with the Subaru unit, as the master sits in the engine room, so if things are tight it might not work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts