Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Holy crap! He waited 9 days after reading the label and knowing he'd done something really bad? I thought I was bad about not seeing the doctor when I hurt myself! I've used a lot of brake cleaner and carb cleaner over the years, but never in an enclosed area, and never on anything I was welding on. This is a real eye opener, and very good info! Phosgene gas is really bad stuff! Thanks Steve!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
WOW!! Scarry. If you knew what was in everything you'd probably have a heart attack. Even reading the labels sometimes do not present all possible situations where a chemical can change it's properties/affects. This guy was lucky, I hope no one else has this happen to them. Mark L

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually a fellow on another site about four years ago. He normally cleaned with some other chemical, and used brake clean when he ran out. He got dizzy, couldn't breath and past out on the floor. Lucky a family member wacked in and called 911. His recovery time was slow and not knowing wether there would be future side affects.
It Totaly slip my mind till I seen a member here with a can on his bench as he was welding, and I got paranoid that he may have or was going to use it to clean the parts he was welding. Well turns out it was just sitting on his bench. Thank the man up stairs :D :D

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks for posting that Steve, I had not heard of that scenario before. I go through Brake cleaner like water some weeks, got twelve cans of it stocked up right now, that article is a good reminder to keep the brain engaged.

56 VIC - Tom

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Good to know Steve. I had never heard about this one. Just a reminder that AC Freon (the old style) when exposed to heat will produce the same gas.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I told this story to several of my mechanical buddies today, more tomorrow.

it was new info to all of them.

56 VIC - Tom

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hey Steve, the thread needs more views, any ideas?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Bump to da top, good stuff, stay safe in the hobby shack

·
Registered
699 Posts
This is the good part about the internet now, learning these things. Although, I learned this by watching Gearz last year and I wasn't even welding yet. It's scary to think you can do something like this and not even know it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chemicals are never beneficial for our body but who knew the items we use on daily or regular basis could have such adverse effects on us without the manufacturers even making it clear beforehand. Hence, I guess it is important for us to take our own necessary precautions when handling them like wearing gloves, masks and so on.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The link seems to be no good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts