Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nice firewall!! How beat up was your original firewall? Was it beat in with a hammer on the passenger side?

Brake lines look good, man. I was never a fan (no pun intended) of mounting coolers horizontal, though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice firewall!! How beat up was your original firewall? Was it beat in with a hammer on the passenger side?

Brake lines look good, man. I was never a fan (no pun intended) of mounting coolers horizontal, though.
The firewall was destroyed. I could'nt stand to look at it. Some guys are just hacks!. This is the first time I am mounting a cooler horizontal myself. A lot of guys do it with great results. Some mount them under the car by the floorboards and they work great. I have a deep trans pan with cooling tubes built in so with that it should be sufficiant. I'm installing a trans temp guage so I can monitor the temp at all times. We'll see how it works out. Bob C.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Looks very nice and clean! My cooler it horizontal on my Austin also, as are a lot of factory aux. coolers. Never had any issues, and it does keep any heat from transferring to the radiator. I have so little space I didn't have a choice, but it works great horizontally.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Finished the hard brake lines and the braided trans lines. I also installed a transmission cooler with an electric fan.
Looks very nice and clean! My cooler it horizontal on my Austin also, as are a lot of factory aux. coolers. Never had any issues, and it does keep any heat from transferring to the radiator. I have so little space I didn't have a choice, but it works great horizontally.
I also plan to install the tranny cooler AWAY from the radiator. I am going to use a trans cooler that has its own electric fan. Not sure where I'll mount it. With the engine setback I have plenty of places to mount it once I get engine compartment fitted with the roll bar extensions, remove inner fender wells and remount the radiator, etc.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The cooler installed horizontal is still much better than no cooler at all. So it is still a good thikng. Your work and the fit and finish looks really show car worthy. Love the car. Mark L

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I was selling at a swap meet this last saturday. The guy across from me was selling a dull one piece fiberglass '56 Chevy front end. Damn I wished I was not hung up on Pontiacs. I really would love building a tri-five. My first car was a '55 and I really wanted a '56 the local gasser guys had for sale bayyyy back when I was 16. They had a garbage truck/waste company and he used the diesel mufflers under the '56. They knew how to build small blocks and that thing sounded so nasty for it's day. They were selling it without a motor/trans but I just could not come up with enough to get it. DAMN!!! MArk L

1 - 8 of 8 Posts