Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
JD, it looks to have a bout the same drop as a Econline axle. Definetly aftermarket though. I agree with Mike, check the street rod sites.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
The steering box is forward from stock location, but actually steers back to hook to the back side of the axle. An odd angle, as the box appears to sit almost over the axle. Looks like about a 4" drop, and several places sell that style. I agree that it's similar to the drop on my Econoline axle I put under my Falcon build. Width looks slightly wider than stock Falcon width, but not extreme. I'd guess a couple inches wider. You can measure your hub to hub surface and subtract 8" to get the kingpin to kingpin width for your build.
Here's a 4" Speedway dropped axle for comparison:

I put my box way forward and I will be steering off the front side of the axle.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I've seen this car a couple of times in local weekend car shows around my area. Each time it has been after dark and the parking lot lights do not do it justice. New River is just North on me about 20 minutes away. Kind of neat to see a local car that you've seen on a write up like that. Mark L

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That speedway axle looks the part.
They don't offer it in a full "gasser" kit though.
Was excited to see a tube dropped axle under the same year car (so I could copy the steering setup)
Not so much when I saw it was threaded across the axle like that... (bump steer?).
I sent him an email via the
Imagine Injection page for some info.. but he has not replied yet.

Mark..if you ever get the chance to snap a pic or five of the front suspension..please do.
Thanks so much for the help guys.
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a reply.
Speedway axle with a damper installed.
Vega box.
Says it will cruse down the highway with no issues.

Was nice to get a response back.
Good stuff :)

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Did you ask them about a drop axle and the kit? My buddy did his Austin PU with a Speedway kit that he ordered with a 4" drop axle. They had no problem selling it as a kit.
If you set the kingpin angle at 7-10 degrees it will cruise down the highway with no problems also, and no damper or special box needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts